NHS Strives to accomplish various community service projects

Lakshmi Katravulapalli, Staff Reporter

Despite the pandemic, WSHS National Honors Society has strived to pursue many different community service projects for the year. The goal of the National Honors Society is to improve students’ grades, community, and leadership commitment. Students in the club must complete two service projects for each semester of the year in order to stay in the NHS. In this club, community service opportunities are also called service projects. 

In October, NHS volunteered at Winter Springs’s annual Trunk or Treat festival that was held at Keeth Elementary, and NHS sponsored one trunk. After Trunk or Treat, the National Honors Society was a part of a Christmas toy and canned food drive in December. Because of the pandemic, Seminole Connect students could drop off their donations at the front office. In February, NHS was a part of the Socks for Legs campaign by Dr. Loomis. All students could go to the Socks for Legs website and purchase any pair of socks which would go to a donation for an artificial limb. 

Along with Socks for Legs, NHS was also a part of HOPE’S Shamrock N Run 5k on March 5 in Oviedo at St. Luke’s Lutheran Church and School. At this event, students help cheer on runners and hold encouraging signs and directions to help runners know where to go and have the motivation to keep going.  After Spring Break, NHS was part of another drive called the Ladybug Drive at WSHS. This drive is to accept new/gently used toys and different items for kids including books, blankets, and stuffed animals for kids. 

After this, NHS was a part of helping Principal Gaffney put bulletin boards outside of the school on March 27. With this project, NHS helped in putting up information about different athletics, academics, and arts at WSHS. NHS is also part of a hygiene drive that collects hygiene items to donate. NHS was able to put a big box in the front office for the hygiene drive to make it easier for online students to donate their items. 

Elizabeth Sun, a senior at WSHS and a member of NHS, said she liked how “NHS set up the donation drives so that both in-person and Seminole Connect students could donate easily at the front office.”  NHS is also planning to be part of a WSHS Landscaping Project (Campus Cleanup) which is for cleaning up the WSHS Campus and is happening on April 18. This is one of the last community service projects happening for NHS this year. NHS has really taken part in many diverse service projects including inside and outside of school.