The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Instagram @bear_truth_news

The Bear Truth News

The Bear Truth News

Looking to the future

The variety of end-of-year events, sports, and exams invigorate the student body in the third and fourth quarter.

Sports:

The beginning of spring marks the introduction of spring sports for the Bears. These include: lacrosse, waterpolo, tennis, track and field, weightlifting, volleyball, baseball, and softball. Many of these sports have already started their season; students are encouraged to go support their fellow Bears at the many games that will be occurring over the course of the semester. 

Recently, multiple teams on campus including the softball and tennis teams took the time to have Clean-Up days for their practice areas and to improve the appearance of the area.

The Lady Lifters, our WSHS Girls Weightlifting Team, at the FHSAA Regional Championships used their skills to win. While the Boys Wrestling team won the SAC Championship. The Girls Wrestling Team also took home three first place spots from SAC.  

Numerous tryouts are still open for those looking to join a sport. For more information, visit the WSHS website. 

Events:

During the week of Valentine’s Day, A variety of student organizations show school spirit on Valentine’s Day week. SGA will soon release dress-up days and a variety of activities for students to participate in. In the past, students looked forward to winning a free prom ticket for participating in the events put on.

One of the biggest events that many of the juniors and seniors look forward to is prom. While a theme has not yet been announced, the date it will occur, April 20, has. Some students have already begun searching for the perfect outfit. 

Arts:

There’s a lot to look forward to from the fine arts department, the band and chorus at WSHS will be prepping for their music performance assessments, or MPA. They will be performing before a panel of adjudicators who will critique them and rate how well they do. 

Additionally, the chorus annually performs a Broadway concert featuring classics from a multitude of famous shows. This year, the Broadway show will be held on April 19 at 6:30 p.m.. The band will hold their spring concert on April 23 at 6:30 p.m. as well. The WSHS Gospel Choir will also be performing on March 28 at 7 p.m., showcasing their amazing abilities showcasing their outstanding vocal capacity in a realm of their own.  

The WSHS Theatre program will also be putting on Murder on the Orient Express, a play based on the murder mystery book by Agatha Christie, for their spring production in April. Preparations have already begun following their amazing performance at their district competition.

Academics:

Junior credit checks have begun and will continue throughout January. If you have any questions or concerns, contact your guidance counselor for assistance. 

AP exams will begin taking place on April 29 and will continue through May 10. IB exams have already begun for many of the juniors and seniors within the program. 

Seniors/Graduation:

Many of the seniors are preparing for their futures after Winter Springs. Student Services has been hosting a variety of events to assist with this, including FAFSA and financial aid workshops and presentations. They have also compiled a collection of scholarships that students can get information about and should keep an eye out for. For those looking to enter the military, the ASVAB will be administered once again on April 9. 

Grad Night at Busch Gardens will be taking place on May 3. More information will be released soon to help seniors prepare for the event. 

The last day seniors will be on campus at WSHS is May 17.

Graduation will be taking place on May 24, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. in the UCF Addition Financial Arena. Seniors should be sure to order their cap and gown as soon as possible to streamline the process and prepare for the upcoming event. 

For more information about events, sports games, testing, and more check the school calendar on the WSHS website and social media.