The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Instagram @bear_truth_news

The Bear Truth News

The Bear Truth News

WSHS celebrates literacy

WSHS celebrates literacy

Winter Springs High School is well known for all of the events and activities held throughout the year. Things such as Winter Week, Movie Night, Hispanic Heritage Month, Homecoming Week, Bear Nation Fridays, and so much more. More recently, Winter Springs High School took part in the 16 annual “Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! 2024” event, designed to “deepen children’s knowledge and support the Resiliency Florida Initiative,” according to the Florida Department of Education. Not only Winter Springs High School, but many other elementary, middle, and high schools throughout Florida were taking part in literacy week. This year’s theme for literacy week was “Believe In Your “Shelf” – Build Resiliency Through Reading!”

The goal of literacy week is to “raise awareness about the importance of reading and to inspire Florida’s students and families to make reading part of their daily routines,” as stated by the Florida Department of Education. For younger students, this means all kinds of fun activities to help expand children’s vocabulary and instill a love of reading.

For Winter Springs High School, each day of literacy week was dedicated to a new dress up theme. Monday, January 22 was “cozy up with a good book, pajama day”. Tuesday, January 23 was “hats off to reading, wear a funny or crazy hat”. There was also a Kahoot during lunch on that day. Wednesday, January 24 was “your future is bright when you read, wear bright colors and sunglasses”. There was also a book giveaway at lunch. Thursday, January 25 was “book character day, Twilight vs Hogwarts”. Finally, Friday, January 26 was “don’t leave your shelf bare”. On this day, students went to the library and searched for hidden bears on the bookshelves. Students who found one of the hidden bears were able to claim a prize during lunch.