WSHS Senior Updates – Class of 2020

Dear WSHS Seniors Class of 2020:

I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!  These times continue to be difficult for many students and families.  I encourage all of you to continue to try to look at the bright side of things and remain optimistic for the future!  Continue to hope!

Today, I have a number of updates to send out to all of you, so please take a look!

1. LAST DAY FOR SENIORS: Friday, May 15 is last day for seniors. Please make sure you get your work completed by May 15.  Make sure you are in touch with your teachers to make sure you meet all requirements.
  2. PLATO classes:  Seniors, and I cannot stress this enough.  Please make sure you are completing any PLATO courses you need to finish.  Graduation is right around the corner. These classes must be finished in order to graduate.
  3. Senior Celebration Committee News: WSHS SENIORS! Mark your calendars! Friday, May 15, 2020 from 11am-2pm here at WSHS! FREE Chick-Fila for WSHS Seniors! Class of 2020! A big thank you to the Senior Celebration Committee for putting this together! Pick up your FREE CHICK-FIL-A on the last day of senior classes – May 15th from 11am-2pm at WSHS. Seniors, bring your ID and decorate your car! Seniors, in order to maintain social distancing and follow all safety measure, we ask that you stay in your car, pick-up your Chick-Fila thru our homemade drive-thru and head off campus to enjoy your meal! Again, Make sure you remain in your car at all times. Thank you!
  4. Virtual Senior Week: NEXT week – Monday, May 11-Friday, May 14.  Seniors, please have fun with this next week!  Patriciate all you can and have fun with the week.  Please tag through Instagram and twitter! @wshs_co2020 and add #wshs20sw. @petes_dragons and @papagaff_wshs

Mon, 5/11    Flashback Ten – post a picture from your childhood

Tues, 5/12    Old/New Alma Mater–post a picture of WSHS/Future College

Wed, 5/13    Forward 10 – post a picture of your life 10 years from now

Thur, 5/14    Time Capsule-post a picture from favorite memory from HS

Fri, 5/15        Day in Paradise-Dress for beach or picture from a vacation

1. Senior SurveySeniors – PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETE THIS SURVEY!

The Class of 2020 Senior Survey will be live starting TODAY, Monday, May 4th and open through Friday, May 15th.  The Senior Class survey will capture data about the Class of 2020, including post high school plans, scholarship money awarded, and reflection of their high school experience.   If a student was enrolled at your school as of March 16th, the student will utilize their student id number to access the survey with the link provided below.  If a student is unable to access the survey or is new to your school, as of March 17th, they can use the provisional link provided below.

How to Access the Survey:

For Grade 12 students enrolled as of March 16th

https://scps.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9slFCFXGhIGvwB7 or  2019-2020 Senior Survey

Senior Survey Provisional Link – for students who enrolled after March 16th

https://scps.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eQWKHL86Wz6oYlv

1. Caps and Gowns News: Our WSHS Class of 2020 caps and gowns are beginning to arrive! Pick up is scheduled for Wednesday, May 27.  Exact times, location and procedures to be announced. We plan to have Herff Jones available if you need to exchange your gown, or have any other issues or questions. We are coordinated our pick-up day with all the other SCPS high schools, so Herff Jones would be available for our SCPS students and families upon pick-up.  Call Herff Jones 407-647-4373 if you need to order your camp and gown – it’s not too late!
  1. Senior Transcripts Request: Seniors, please fill out the form below to request your transcripts be sent electronically to the school of your choice after graduation. You may also choose to have two transcripts printed for pick-up. https://tinyurl.com/ya4rl2uv
  1. Dance Information

The Dance on Thursday, June 11, 2020 or Thursday, July 16, 2020 is still being planned.  A lot depends on the guidelines for social distancing and CDC regulations.  We are doing our best to keep up with the changes that seem to be happening on a daily basis.  Our goal is to try to incorporate as many senior activities in our dance night as possible (IE; Senior video, Yearbook, signing, dance).  Seniors, if you have input on this night, feel free to send me an email, [email protected]

1.  Graduation:  We are still holding out hope for graduation.  Our June date is still on the books.  If we do need to cancel it, we would do so around June 1st.  Let’s hope we can make it happen!  Fingers-crossed!

Decorating Caps:  ALL SCPS High Schools will be allowing our students to decorate their caps for graduation!  Procedures and expectations to come, but all the SCPS high schools are allowing this for the Class of 2020.

Graduation Tickets will be limited to 5 tickets per person!  Take note of this!

Graduation Plan #1 *(provided social distancing rules have been lifted)

• Friday, June 12th – High School Graduations will be held at each High School on the Football Field at 8:20 p.m., which is military time for 20:20.
  • Saturday, June 13th – Rain Plan:  If it rains the evening of June 12th, Graduations would occur the next morning on June 13th @ 8:20 a.m.
  • Graduations would be live-streamed for spectators unable to attend in-person.

Graduation Plan #2 *(provided social distancing rules have not been lifted by June)

• Friday, July 17th – High School Graduations will be held at each High School on the Football Field at 8:20 p.m., which is military time for 20:20.
  • Saturday, July 18th – Rain Plan:  If it rains the evening of July 17th, Graduations would occur the next morning on July 18th @ 8:20 a.m.
  1. Lights on Event for May 22 (our original Graduation Night)!  WSHS Celebrates the Class of 2020: On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 8:20pm for 20 minutes and 20 seconds we will be turning on our lights to signal our support for the WSHS Class of 2020 Seniors on what was supposed to be our original graduation date. Due to social distancing guidelines, people cannot attend this event in person, but may drive by the stadium. We promise to post pictures once again on social media for all to see! GO BEARS!!!!

Thank you, Seniors!  This has been very difficult for everyone but we will make the best out of it! Please let me know if you have any questions.  Email me at [email protected].

Thank you!

Mr. Gaffney, Principal, WSHS