The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Instagram @bear_truth_news

The Bear Truth News

The Bear Truth News

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour film breaks records

Caution this article contains spoilers for Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Taylor Swift has had many achievements throughout the course of 2023, including winning multiple VMAs, releasing a record-breaking album, and having one of the most successful tours of the year. Added to her long list of accomplishments is the release of her record breaking concert-film: Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour. The film is a movie version of her concert, which takes viewers through all of the singer-songwriter’s “eras,” or albums.

The film has become increasingly successful since its debut on October 13, and has turned into a global phenomenon. Fans were encouraged by Swift herself to attend the movie in Eras Tour inspired outfits, sing along to her songs, and trade friendship bracelets with other fans, which has become a staple tradition for many of Swift’s concert-goers.

The movie begins as the lights dim in the theater; a timer appears on the big screen, counting down to the moment when the film will start. However, instead of starting at one minute, the countdown actually starts with 13 seconds left on the timer, honoring the singer’s lucky number. 

The film starts with the b-side track “Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince,” and then leads into “Cruel Summer,” “The Man,” “You Need to Calm Down,” “Lover,” and “The Archer,” all songs from Swift’s 2019 album Lover. She then transitions into Fearless, her sophomore album. During this “era,” she sings classics from her catalog, such as “Fearless,” “You Belong with Me,” and “Love Story.”

Swift travels through almost all ten of her “eras,” excluding her debut album, Taylor Swift. During the course of the film, Swift sings a variety of songs from her discography, including her lesser-known tracks. 

One of the unique features of the tour showcased in the concert film is the inclusion of“Surprise Songs.” In this segment of the show, the singer chooses two surprise songs to sing during her acoustic set; these songs are different for each show. The songwriter handpicked two tracks for the film that were both nostalgic and sentimental for the fans; she picked “Our Song,” the third single from her first album, and “You’re on Your Own, Kid,” a raw and emotional track from her most recent studio album, Midnights. The first track honors longtime Taylor Swift fans, and the second one was an encouraging ballad meant to fuel listeners with strength.

Overall, the film exceeded expectations, and has received numerous five star reviews. It is suitable for most ages, and remains a unique and entertaining experience, even for fans who have attended the concert in person. 

Both longtime fans and casual listeners of the Pop Princess would enjoy the movie. However, for those looking for a plot or action-packed adventure, they will not find it in Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour. As it is a concert-film, it is primarily for those who are either music appreciators or would like to experience the Eras Tour, but could not attend. Despite the film’s limited demographic, it remains a testimony to Swift’s robust songwriting and performance abilities. 

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour entertains viewers and introduces casual listeners to her vast discography, which contains both inspiring songs and captivating performances. For those who are interested in viewing the movie for the first time, or maybe even their thirteenth time, it will be available to watch on Disney+ starting on March 15.