The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Instagram @bear_truth_news

The Bear Truth News

The Bear Truth News

Girls Lacrosse prepares for new season

While most students dread the end of winter break and the beginning of the second semester, for these chosen few January is the most gratifying time of the year. All Across Florida, January marks the start of the girls lacrosse high school athletic season. Even Though games don’t start until February, the preparation that goes into producing a winning team starts long before. 

Head Coach Kaitlyn Lucas has held off-season lacrosse training from September to December in order to keep the team’s skills, chemistry, and fitness intact. The same week that athletes came back from their winter break the training for the spring season kicked off with two week long fitness conditioning. Side by side with other spring sport teams, the girls began a series of running, push ups, and more running to get in shape for the enduring season ahead. After a nerve-racking and worrisome two days of tryouts, the teams were made. Varsity gained a whopping nine new girls on their roster, who were moved up from JV to play in all-purple uniforms for the first time. 

Sophomore Goalie Nadya Gallego who is going into her first year on varsity can’t contain her excitement for the new season. When asked what her goals were for the upcoming season she expressed her desire for the girls to “work stronger and tighter as a team.” She also revealed the anticipation to play against her off season club mates’ high school teams after months of playing together. A common theme among the entire program is team love and friendship. Gallego gushed over her teammates calling them a “family-oriented” group of girls. She and new varsity teammates are looking forward to the upcoming season of playing at a higher level and hope to make this season “greater than any other.” 

Sophomore midfielder and JV captain, Phoebe Criswell, is excited to officially kick the season off by playing games. One game in particular, The Morgan’s Message double header is what she’s looking forward to the most. Morgan’s Message is a program that advocates for athlete’s mental health and Criswell felt its a very important message to be shared. Going into the JV season she’s looking forward to both new girls and returners learning to work as a team and for those who are just starting to love the game. 

The Lady Bears’ season kick off is on February 12 against the Lyman Greyhounds playing away. Students should keep an eye out for this excited and determined team  and the waves they’re bound to make this season.