Fall Softball at WSHS

Photo by Adison Pierce

Annabelle Mcguire, Staff Reporter

This year’s fall softball season started in early October. In 2019, Winter Springs’ softball won the state championship. The Fall season is a great way to help players prepare for the real season in Spring. It helps the team get to know each other and learn how to play with one another. This Fall season can also help the players work on themselves to help prepare for this upcoming season. 

The players really enjoy playing for Winter Springs High School and the culture being built. Adison Pierce, a freshman on the softball team said, “I like being a part of the Winter Springs softball team because they have a good history of winning and are one of the most competitive teams in the county.” 

The fall season lasts around five weeks, and they play a total of four games. The softball team won the first game, lost the second one by one run, and lost the third one only by two runs. The final game was played on the first of November against Lake Mary where they ended off the season with a win. 

During the Fall season there is only one team, but they split the team up into two separate groups. One group plays the first four innings, and the other group plays the final four innings. The groups change every game, and are determined by how well you do at practice. For the Spring season however, there are two teams, JV and Varsity. These teams do not get split into groups. 

The current coaches for Winter Springs softball are Eric Birle and Farrah Gordon. Head Coach, Gordon, is a former UCF softball player. She played there for four years and graduated in 2015. Adison Pierce said “I knew both of the coaches before I came to Winter Springs, so I am very excited to be playing with them this year.” As the Fall season for the Bears is coming to an end, make sure to come watch them in the Spring.