The Parlour opens as a new local hangout

Shaina Kaprow, Copy Editor

The Parlour ice cream shop opened on April 9, giving the Winter Springs community a chance to try their cool treats during the summer season. The shop is located at 158 Tuskawilla Rd, Winter Springs next to the Pho Au Lac. Both are located in the Town Center which is a short walk or dive from WSHS. 

Kimberly Walters, a sophomore at WSHS and an employee at The Parlour stated she initially applied to the shop because “[she’s] always thought it would be cool to be a part of a small business.” The Parlour is a locally owned and run business by Jason and Dawn Bethune, a married couple who are residents of the area. 

Additionally, The Parlour features a variety of unique flavors like Lavender Honey, a favorite of Walters, Black Cherry, and Apple Pie. They also create dairy, gluten free, and vegan ice creams in flavors like Toasted Coconut and Passionfruit Orange Guava. According to The Parlour website, all of these flavors are homemade and meant to replicate an “old-fashioned hand crank ice cream maker” similar to the kinds the Bethune’s grew up with. Furthermore, ice cream by itself is not the only thing they sell. Some of their other sweet treats include milkshakes, floats, as well as cookie and brownie sundaes to name a few.

Diamond Carrasquillo, a junior at WSHS and a customer of The Parlour, described the ice cream store’s atmosphere as “very chill, calm, and it was nice to go with a friend” she also stated that her favorite part of the experience was that “the service was nice and fast,” adding to the pleasant ambiance of the shop. Overall, The Parlour is a new creamery with a tranquil yet vibrant environment that allows the residents of the Winter Springs/Oviedo area a great new hangout spot.