WSHS shows patriotic spirit

By Scott Harris

Shaina Kaprow, Staff Reporter

Veterans Day took place on November 11, and Winter Springs High School expressed its spirit for the national holiday by having a performance for it. In this honorary performance, the Chorus group, Gospel Choir, and the Band of Gold all demonstrated their musical talents. They did this through various patriotic songs for the crowd of students, teachers, and veterans that were attending. There was also a bald eagle at the event, though it was skittish due to the amount of people present.

This performance gave people the chance to honor the veterans who served in the United States military, as well as offering an example of the talent and skills of the arts found in the school. Amy Brewster, a sophomore, stated “[she] thought the performance was really good” and that “[she] really enjoyed the Gospel Choir.” Kiara Arias, another sophomore, said that what “[she] liked most was the band.” The diversity of music and songs allowed the attendees to experience a wide variety of music, and to find a style that they enjoyed.

To properly honor the veterans in the families of students and teachers alike, the school asked for people to invite any veterans that wanted to see the performance to the school. Furthermore, Karina Blackman, a freshman member of the Chorus, said that “[her] brother is going to be a veteran one day so [she feels] proud to sing for [the] event.” The meaning behind this day connected the school and the students in it to the families and the community found there.

Some may wonder about the history of Veterans Day, originally known as Armistice Day, and why people celebrate it. When asked, many of the students at the school know very little about it. National Today stated that Armistice day was created to “honor the fallen soldiers of the Great War for their sacrifice and bravery” which would later come to include all the people who have served in the United States military. Veterans Day provides people an opportunity to truly thank the people who have helped protect them over the years, and to continue to remember what they have done.