The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Instagram @bear_truth_news

The Bear Truth News

The Bear Truth News

Rick Riordan announces brand new Percy Jackson and the Olympians book

Fans of the beloved Greek mythology inspired series Percy Jackson and the Olympians will be beyond excited to discover that a brand new installment has been announced. On January 18, author Rick Riordan officially declared to readers that the next book, titled Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Wrath of the Triple Goddess, will be released on September 24, making it the seventh addition to the series. With Disney+ airing its brand new adaptation of the books, the series’ popularity has significantly increased.

This next title in the middle-grade series will follow Percy Jackson, “half-blood” son of Posiedon (god of the sea), on his newest adventure. He will be joined, as usual, by Annabeth Chase, “half-blood” daughter of Athena (goddess of wisdom), and Grover, a satyr—half goat, half human. The Wrath of the Triple Goddess will continue the storyline from its predecessor, The Chalice of the Gods. The previous novel tells Percy’s exciting story as he attempts to navigate his senior year of high school as a normal kid. Jackson yet again fails to lead a normal life due to his dual obligations as a “half-blood” and a high school boy. In order to get into his dream school, New Rome University, he needs three recommendation letters from Mount Olympus, the home of the Greek Gods. To do this, he must embark on three quests; The Chalice of the Gods relays the story of Percy and his aforementioned friends as they attempt to retrieve the golden goblet of Ganymede, Zeus’ cupbearer, before it ends up in malicious hands.

The Wrath of the Triple Goddess will mark Percy’s second quest for his letters of recommendation; this journey will involve “babysitting” the mastiff and polecat belonging to the goddess of magic, Hecate. While sounding simple, the quest turns out to take a turn for the worse; although instructed not to touch anything, Grover’s curiosity takes over and he breaks this rule, resulting in a series of disasters that eventually lead to the trio losing Hecate’s pets. They must now set off to retrieve them before it is too late.

Riordan said in his formal announcement that this novel is the “second of three ideas [he] developed for Percy, Annabeth, and Grover-based adventures” four years prior, when the author was still looking for support from Disney for a TV show of his series. He claims the ideas developed of their own accord, “and writing them felt like a good way to celebrate the show with [his] longtime readers.”

Percy Jackson and the Olympians has gained a fair deal of praise and attention since the release of the first book in 2010. Longtime fans who have followed Percy and his friends since The Lightning Thief, alongside the new fans of the Disney+ show, will certainly be fascinated by Riordan’s writing once again upon the release of the newest book.