Television Productions Great Aspects

Courtesy of: Videomaker

Scott Harris, Staff Reporter

Located in the media center of Winter Springs High School holds the classroom of the television production course. In this course taught by Mrs. Dawn Wilkerson students are introduced to the technical aspects involved in the film industry including scripting, filming, and editing videos on certain topics given by Wilkerson. In some classes, the course goes through the processes of directing, producing, and anchoring our Winter Springs High School announcements (BNN). The TV production class was introduced during the school’s opening in 1997 by Mrs. Wilkerson herself, this program has been responsible for the creation of our WSHS “senior videos.”

Students involved in the program have the opportunity to get an official Adobe Premiere Pro certification which if passed gives the student a graduation honor cord and better opportunities in gaining college attention and careers in production. Through the beginning of the class, students are introduced to the very beginnings of the film industry by analyzing the filming techniques and pre-production work done to ensure the technological advances that have taken place over time in film. Students are told to write scripts, replicate techniques used in popular movies, and edit on the given software.

If enrolled in Television Production 3, students have the option to learn the technical aspects of creating the videos for WSHS’s BNN news. If the student is not in the newsroom, they are given the opportunity to film Openings, PSAs, or closings. When the groups create these videos they are entered in the class contest to where the winner gets their video on BNN’s broadcast.

Television 5 is the course a student would most likely want to be in if they are interested mostly in the editing aspect to the creation of videos. This would be the course to aid most in adobe certification as mentioned prior.