Suni Lee begins her college journey

Courtesy of Marie Daire

Bailey McLean, News Editor

Team USA Gymnast Sunisa “Suni” Lee is off to college. The women’s all-around champion during the Tokyo Summer Games started her Freshman year at Auburn University in Alabama. Lee shared a post on Instagram (@sunisalee) showing her excitement as she begins her college journey. Continuing to show their enthusiasm Lee’s gymnastics teammates Simone Biles and Jade Carey made comments cheering her on. 

In the 2020 Olympics, Lee took home three gold medals from the games. She’s the first Asian American Olympic gymnastics all-around champion ever, along with being the first Hmong American to win a gold medal, and the first Hmong American to make the U.S Olympic women’s gymnastics team. Lee is still going to be participating in gymnastics while being under the coaching of Jeff Graba, who is the twin of her last coach Jess Graba. With Auburn being an NCAA Division I and SEC school, she will now become one of the most high profile athletes competing in the NCAA and will now be able to profit from her own image, name, and likeness thanks to the new changes to the NCAA rules. 

On Twitter, Auburn University posted a video of Lee being welcomed by her new coaches and teammates. Lee said “It’s amazing how everyone here has been so supportive and so welcoming about me coming here.” Lee continued to say, “I know it’s crazy to have a gold medalist come, but I’m excited because I feel like everyone here is so nice and the atmosphere is way different than I thought it would be.” Aside from being a high profile athlete and all that comes with it Lee is just ready to enjoy her time in college. Lee said “I’m just excited to be in a classroom with other people and just get that college experience.”