WSHS Sadie Hawkins Dance 2018

The Sadie Hawkins Dance is coming up!

Olivia Temple, Staff Writer

Love is in the air at Winter Springs High School, every year around Valentine’s Day WSHS hosts a dance in the cafeteria called the Sadie Hawkins Dance. A Sadie Hawkins dance is when the girls ask the guys. Last year, around 175 to 200 kids came to the dance. The organizers of the dance hope that more people come, whether solo, as a couple or as a group. The dance is on February 9th and the theme is Valentines. Tickets will be sold on Wednesday, February 7th for 10 dollars; after that day, the prices go up. On Thursday, the tickets will be sold for $15 and on Friday $20 as well as at the door.

The term “Sadie Hawkins Dance” is named after the Li’l Abner comic strip character, Sadie Hawkins. Some people might believe the boys should ask girls to dances, but this dance empowers women to take charge and go after what they want. This event was introduced in a daily comic strip. The very first Sadie Hawkins Dance was held on November 15, 1937. By 1952, the event was celebrated all over the country.

There is a day named after Sadie Hawkins. This day is usually on February 15th because that is the anniversary of the original comic strip in which the idea was taken; however, some places in the United States celebrate this day on February 13th.  On this day, girls should go ahead and feel free to grab the initiative and ask the boy of their choice out on a date. However, it doesn’t hold the same importance as it once may have had. Women have become more independent and are free to ask a man out whenever, but this day is usually meant for the women to ask a man out.

Quinn Hardy, 11th grade, is going to this year’s dance. He wants to go for the experience, considering he didn’t go the previous years while attending high school. Hardy will be going with a group of friends and they plan on having a great time.

“If this dance is a night to remember, then my friends and I will plan on going next year,” says Hardy.

The Sadie Hawkins Dance is a dance for solo’s or groups to go and find a man or woman to spend the dance with because Valentine’s Day is right around the corner.