WSHS takes a deep dive into Literacy Week

Allie Nichols, Editor-in-Chief

This year readers of all ages took a “deep dive into literacy” and “splash[ed] into new worlds” for National Literacy week, January 23-27. According to the Florida Department of Education website, “‘Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida!’ is designed to raise awareness about the importance of reading and to inspire Florida’s students and families to make reading part of their daily routines. #FLCelebratesLiteracy.” 

Various WSHS English teachers expressed their belief on why literacy is important. Principal Pete Gaffney projected that “literacy is the driving force behind education.” Mrs. Gaskill noted it’s essential to “understanding the human condition and [recognizing] the timeless struggles of humankind.” It challenges people to “see the ambiguity and grayness of people. Fanfiction or fast fiction relies so much on good vs bad – it’s full of tropes. But literature provides a place for humanness to drive motivation and action – in all the good and bad ways.” Mr. Parker commented, “Literature is the collection of human history, some fiction, some real. What others have thought, and survived, and felt in their core, they have written down and passed on through story-telling. It’s the expression of human experience.” Dr. Vickers said, “Reading is one of the most fundamental skills a person can master… A person can experience so many scenarios inside the pages of a good book.”

Mrs. Tweed believes that “School should promote reading because it helps strengthen literary skills, prepare students for college and careers, and develop robust critical thinking. Most of all, though, schools should promote reading because it is fun.”Ms. Crowe said, “Literature is important because many of the lessons presented are timeless and carry on from generation to generation. It gives a look into classics and brings cultures together.”

Mr. Felker said “Knowledge is the most powerful resource in this reality, and the human mind is like a bottomless vessel to contain it. Thus we find knowledge possessing 3 main qualities. 1.) It can only grow and never diminishes 2.) It can only grow with the willpower of the student seeking it 3.) Accumulation of knowledge inspires good, virtuous habits within the individual that drive them towards their full potential, and subsequently lead them to help many people in life.” Members of the Springs community also contributed books for the Pop-up Book Drive. In return, they received a Bear Buck and a lollipop. Anyone and everyone could drop by and pick up a free book or two. The school hosted a Big Book Giveaway for students and staff alike to spread the joys of literacy. 

Other events and celebrations included the “Famous Author’s Matching Contest” in which students matched five books to the correct corresponding author using QR Codes posted all around the school. Mr. Gaffney announced the winners on Thursday – Seniors Valentino Balzano and Darren Verney, Juniors Shia Lorenzo and Samantha Rose. One sophomore winner was the Business Manager of the Newspaper, Victoria Tirado, and the other was Brooke Brezela. Freshmen included Miranda Rhinne and  Danielle Young. Faculty and staff hung posters for each department around the school showcasing them holding a special book and a meaningful saying. Similarly, individual photos of Bear community members with their favorite book and quote could be additionally framed and displayed in the front office and media center.

The school celebrated with the following different themed days for the occasion: Monday as Crazy Sock Day with the prompt “Kick your heels up and read;” Tuesday as Hat Day for “Hats off to literacy;” Wednesday as Character Day where students dressed their favorite book character; Thursday as Superhero Day because “Reading gives you superpowers;” and Friday as Neon Shirt day, for “Reading makes you bright.” The whole week was filled with color, character, and comprehension. Mr. Hunter hoped that everyone took time “to sit down with a good book and enjoy the simple pleasure of getting lost in its pages” throughout the week.

Favorite books of WSHS staff included: the Bible, Narnia Series, Slaughterhouse-Five, To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride and Prejudice, and the Goosebumps series. Although, many English teachers admitted to not being able to pick a single book. Favorite genres included horror and romance. Mrs. Gaskill claimed that everything she teaches in AP Literature is her favorite. 

In many other Florida counties, elementary, middle, and high schools students were prompted to wear Hawaiin attire, clothes with words, or dress up as their favorite book character. A few schools celebrated their hundredth day of school during the week. Many teachers took the week to focus on different aspects of English with days dedicated to diving into poetry, new genres, and author’s purpose. Students were invited to writing workshops, marine life campaigns, and community readings. 

1. Why is Literature important?  
  2. What is your favorite book/series/author?
  3. Why should schools promote reading motivation?

Vickers

1.  Why is Literature important?  Reading is one of the most fundamental skills a person can master. Almost everything we do in life requires reading of some kind, whether it’s reading a prescription dosage on a medicine bottle or a street sign when driving. We need to be able to read. Enjoying literature is one of the benefits of being able to read. A person can experience so many scenarios inside the pages of a good book.
  2. What is your favorite book/series/author? This may not be a popular answer, but The King James Bible is my favorite. So much of the literature I teach draws allusions from various events described in the Bible. I love seeing how comparisons can be made or meanings can come to light from having biblical background knowledge. 
  3. Why should schools promote reading motivation? Our goal should be to create independent, self-sufficient citizens who will hopefully aspire to be life-long learners. How better to prepare a person to be independent than to become an avid reader. In addition, I think ardent readers tend to be better writers and more rounded individuals.
  4. Any other Literacy Week-related thoughts you would like to share? Please get involved! Every day is a dress up day, which is always a lot of fun. We’ve got two contests that are easy to access through the QR codes posted all around the school. We’re doing the Big Book Giveaway again this year. Last year we gave away hundreds of free books to students. It was exciting to see so many students and adults perusing the books and walking away with a book or two. 

Gaskill

1. Why is Literature important?  
    1. Understanding / evaluation of the human condition, and to recognize the timeless the struggles of humankind.
    2. Literature also challenges us to see the ambiguity and grayness of people. Fan fiction or fast fiction relies so much on good vs bad – it’s full of tropes. But literature provides a place for humanness to drive motivation and action – in all the good and bad ways.
    1. This is an unfair question.
      1. Lamb – Christopher Moore – satire
      2. The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafron
      3. 1984 – Orwell
      4. Everything I teach in AP Lit. Everything.
    1. So students can better understand the nuances of being a human. Humans make mistakes. Humans struggle. Reading about it helps us to understand this and learn how to cope and be human.
  4. Any other Literacy Week-related thoughts you would like to share?
    1. It’s sad our county is promoting literacy week and taking away novels in the English classroom. How can they promote literacy and then tell English teachers there’s no time nor place to teach whole novels in the curriculum? It’s asinine that we’re allowing a generation of young people to be taught that reading novels is unimportant by removing them from the classroom.

Gaffney

1. Literacy is the driving force behind education!  We must read to gain understanding!  And of you love what you read it makes it all the better!
  2. I love the Narnia series! The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and anything sports related! I love sports!
  3. Reading is driving force as I said!  So much knowledge, wisdom and LEARING can take place by simply picking up a book and reading about what interest you..
  4. I love the Literacy Week is a Celebration at WSHS!  I credit Dr. Vickers for all the work she does with this week!  She makes it fun for our students and staff! She is amazing!

Parker

1. Why is Literature important? 
    A. Literature is the collection of human history, some fiction, some real. What others have thought, and survived, and felt in their core, they have written down and passed on through story-telling. It’s the expression of human experience.
    A. I began reading Kurt Vonnegut in college and found his perspective of the world endearing. I love Slaughterhouse-Five for anyone loving books about WW2…and time travel, aliens, and nonlinear stories.
    A. Reading is the process of decoding information, in a variety of forms. Those that can read can read beyond a page – they read visuals, music, the room, everything around them. Reading is pushups for the brain.
    A. It doesn’t matter what you read, as long as you are reading. Read what you enjoy.

Crowe

1. Literature is important because many of the lessons presented are timeless and carry on from generation to generation. It gives a look into classics and brings cultures together.
  2. It is hard to really choose just one book, or even one series. However, I do particularly like romance novels and novels that have moral lessons embedded throughout.
  3.  Schools should promote reading because reading is everywhere. Reading does not stop after high school, rather it is something to be developed lifelong.
  1. No additional thoughts, I hope that kids get involved and read some great books!

Felker

1. Why is Literature important?  

Literature is important because the great scribes and thinkers of our time have used their mastery of language to create timeless stories that are infused with aspects of art, history, science, culture and philosophy. These written works help individuals increase their knowledge of the external world, thus increasing their understanding of their own internal world within. 

1. What is your favorite book/series/author?

I loved reading/collecting the Goosebumps series when I was in 4th grade, then moved onto Stephen King’s novels once my imagination could handle the fear factor in 7th grade. These days I read books written by ancient philosophers because their words of wisdom are so profound that they affect the mind much like a beautiful piece of music or song would.  

1. Why should schools promote reading motivation?

A young mind is one that can absorb learning like no other, but the window of time to reap the most benefit is limited. Even if it must be preached repeatedly, the priceless benefit of reading written language should be realized by every student. 

1. Any other Literacy Week-related thoughts you would like to share? 

Knowledge is the most powerful resource in this reality, and the human mind is like a bottomless vessel to contain it. Thus we find knowledge possessing 3 main qualities. 1.) It can only grow and never diminishes 2.) It can only grow with the willpower of the student seeking it 3.) Accumulation of knowledge inspires good, virtuous habits within the individual that drive them towards their full potential, and subsequently lead them to help many people in life. 

Hunter

1. Why is Literature important?  Literature is our gateway into the thoughts, feelings, expressions, and experiences of others.  Literature allows us to broaden our world without even moving.
  2. What is your favorite book/series/author?  My favorite book is “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee.  My wife and I love this book so much, our daughter’s middle name is Scout, in honor of the book’s main character.
  3. Why should schools promote reading motivation?  Reading is a fundamental skill to help all people communicate and relate.  The better readers we become, the better we understand and appreciate each other.
  4. Any other Literacy Week-related thoughts you would like to share?  I hope every one takes some time this week to sit down with a good book and enjoy the simple pleasure of getting lost in its pages!

Tweed

1. Why is Literature important?  

Literacy is the foundation of a democratic society. Without literary, the citizen is unable to participate fully in making decisions and in evaluating information that impacts their daily lives. Beyond the rational and ethical needs for informed literate citizenry, people need literacy for practical matters in their daily lives. We need to be able to decipher texts and read critically in order to manage 

and create in this media rich society. Possibly the most important reason for me personally, however, is that reading is a wonderful way to learn about people, to explore fantastical worlds, and to get lost in stories that inspire.

That isn’t a fair question! I love books in many genres and time periods. However, the book I have probably re-read the most often in my life is Harry Potter and Pride and Prejudice

School should promote reading because it helps strengthen literary skills, prepare students for college and careers, and develop robust critical thinking. Most of all, though, schools should promote reading because it is fun.