The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Instagram @bear_truth_news

The Bear Truth News

The Bear Truth News

Kendall Sines hits 1,000 assists

On September 2 Senior Kendall Sines made her 1,000 assist in her high school career! Sines has been playing on the Girls’ Varsity volleyball team since her freshman year at Winter Springs and this achievement has been a grand work in the making since the start of high school.

Sines says she’d been trying to reach this goal since freshman year and was over the moon when she found out she did at the beginning of her senior season. In high school sports it’s standard for varsity athletes to track their game stats after every game. On the Volleyball team, the girls use this information to make goals for themselves throughout the season. Sines says reaching 1,000 assists was something she’d been trying to reach since her freshman year. She was really excited when she found out the news, especially since it was here last year to reach it.

When asked what made this achievement so special to her, Sines took the opportunity to show her admiration for her teammates and role on the court. She expressed that “each assist makes up one of my teammate’s moments of success.” In sports, an assist is when a pass from one player to the next results in a scored point. As a Setter, Sines’ job is to set up the ball so one of the hitters can attack the ball and score for the team. Her position sets the team up to be able to score. She added that “my teammates and past teammates are some of my best friends and putting them in the position to score is what makes setting so special to me.” Sines brings value to her team not only through her athletic skill but also through her friendships and commitment. She owes her achievement to her teammates stating, “I couldn’t reach this number without them.” 

When asked how her coaches have helped her become the player she is today, Sines replied “My coaches have helped me be a confident player and trust my abilities as well as creating me into a leader on the court when games get tough.” She honors all the aspects of her team and credits them as a vital part of her success. 

Although her grand accomplishments are being put on display, it wasn’t an easy journey for her to get there. Early in her high school career, Sines suffered from a debilitating knee injury and shin splints. She attended physical therapy to “resolve” the injuries, during her freshman and sophomore year. Overcoming serious sports injuries are never easy, and oftentimes athletes are never able to perform as well as they once did. She allowed her lost time and obstacles to inspire her and work harder than ever before to get her spot on varsity back and become the superstar everyone sees her as today.

When asked what her goals were for the rest of her volleyball career, Sines showed her enthusiasm for the season ahead and confidence for the season ahead. “My goals are to win districts and push my team to be the best we can be and give 110% at every game for the rest of the season” Sines tells the Bear Truth. She feels this season is going to be a fantastic one for her team and encourages them to reach their greatest potential. As for her own personal goals, Sines is hungry for more and wants to break yet another record for herself. “My goal is to beat my last year’s total of 496 assists this year!” Sines replied excitedly. Like any great athlete, Sines is eager to raise the bar higher for herself and do the unthinkable.