Trunk or treat

Photo credit goes to Peter Gaffney

Audrey Browne & Silly Flores, Staff Reporter

On October 26, WSHS hosted Trunk-or-Treat for its fifth year. Winter Springs residents looked forward to sharing this experience with their families. Over a hundred children, parents, and students appeared to support WSHS, along with having fun with their friends. Clubs (as well as organizations outside of WSHS) also showed up to distribute candy and sell items to help support their causes and attract new members. For example, Culinary students sold slices of pizza, Bear Truth News sold bottles of water, and PTA sold bracelets. Some wore themed costumes as a group, while others brandished their organization’s shirts. 

Clubs such as Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, Bear Truth News, the Winter Springs Band of Gold, and many more participated in the spooktacular event. In fact, WSHS’s parking lot held over 128 participating vehicles that night. According to assistant principal Jakob Jarzynka, “Roughly 40 percent of the trunks were managed by our student groups. It means a lot to see our kids learn that you can give to your community and for them to understand that it can be fun and that it’s important. I couldn’t be more proud of how they interacted with the community.” 

Trunks were decorated to various themes such as: the beach, Spongebob, and even Sesame Street. Others were decorated with more spooky themes such as The Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus. Kids strutted around as if it was already Halloween night, trick-or-treating clad in costumes. 

According to Wyatt Thompson, one of the WSHS students that attended that night, one of his personal favorite costumes he’d seen was a little kid dressed up as a tank. He worked at three trunks with various themes such as: “a scary forest, dead pirates, and Coraline.”

Alanis Tenjo-Mejia, a student of Crooms Academy Of Information Technology, heard about Trunk or Treat through a fellow student at her school. Tenjo-Mejia talked about how much fun she had and how her favorite was the Spongebob themed trunk.

Ell Samara from Bear Truth News stated: “I saw a costume of someone as the vocaloid ‘Miku’.” Samara enjoyed handing out candy and spending time with friends. Samara also mentioned the impressive nature of Mr. Boyd’s Gaming club trunk. According to Samara, the booth included details such as a tablecloth and toys themed around Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Overall, dozens of people attended and enjoyed  the WSHS Trunk-or-Treat this year. October 26 was a night of candy-filled fun that is absolutely worth replicating next year. Perhaps it will have an even more impressive turnout now that more Winter Springs residents are aware and fond of the event.