Black History Month

Courtesy of Houstonia Magazine

Allie Nichols, Editor-in-Chief

The month of February is known for Valentine’s, but lovers aren’t the only ones being spotlighted. This month also is an observance and tribute to the history of black people of color- hence the name Black History Month. Starting in 1915 in the U.S., the celebration is now recognized in Canada, Ireland, and the U.K. Last year, the “theme” or main discussion was all about family and identity. This year is all about health and wellness, appropriate for another year of COVID. 

Winter Springs High School has been celebrating in its own way each year. Last year teachers decorated their doors with their own families, quotes by their favorite African American celebrities, or appreciation for trailblazers and leaders of the black community. Ms. Jennifer Mallard, science teacher, headed the coordination of events this year with Ms. Marsha McBryde, Dr. Keyuana Carpenter, Ms. Angel Collins, and Coach Schowonda Williams.

This year, every Wednesday during lunch, there will be an event for BHM. The first week hosted UCF African American athletes. They were able to mingle with students and autograph memorabilia. On February 16, there will be a faculty and student food day where people can come and try some of the cultural cuisine for two dollars. The proceeds will go toward celebrating BHM and even Young Men and Women of Excellence. On the last Wednesday, food trucks, all run by African American men and women, will come and bring in comfort and soul foods for students. All throughout the announcements, as well, there will be opportunities to share ideas and stories and learn about the relevance of Black History Month.

Freshman George Nabors shared his personal experience with the UCF athletes. He said, “the experience was great, and they were very nice and motivating. It’s something that we should as a school continue to do.” He proceeded to mention that his favorite athlete was the volleyball player who told him he can accomplish his goals despite any hindrances with enough motivation and the right mindset. 

The celebration of Black History Month, according to Ms. Mallard, “bring[s] in historical facts that aren’t taught in school, so everyone can have a broader spectrum of how this country came to be.” She really admires the conversation between teachers and students and peers. She said, “They can talk to classmates or teachers that are part of that background and get some of that information first hand from their experience.”

Ms. Mallard believes that this should be emphasized and recognized because “we are a very diverse campus, and all nationalities should be recognized and have the opportunity to share with other people their background, so we’re not living in a bubble, and we’re not naive to other cultures and people.” Mallard continued to say, “I think it gives a much better view and insight into other people than just social media which can be obscured.” The celebration of BHM allows communities to come together and make the world a more accepting place, one day at a time.