Betty White dies at 99

Courtesy of NBC4 Washington

Courtesy of NBC4 Washington

Aislinn Jones, Staff Reporter

Betty White passed away on December 31, 2021 from a stroke that caused brain damage. Leading her to pass away six days later, just before her 100th birthday. She was an actress who very famously starred in Golden Girls and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. 

White was born on January 17, 1922 in Oak Park, Illinois. Betty White was the only child of her parents Tess Curtis White and Horance Logan White. Her family moved to California in 1923 when she was over a year old during the Great Depression. Betty White attended high school in Beverly Hills and after she graduated in 1939 she started to act. 

Since she began her acting career she has won 27 awards regarding acting and female leads. As previously stated she is most famous for her comedic relief roles in Golden Girls, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and The Betty White Show. Betty White has also written seven books and published two audio books. All of this between the time period of 1980-2015.

Complex News stated,  “The sustaining legacy of the omnipresent pop culture figure, per a new report from TMZ, will be celebrated on Jan. 17 in Oak Park.” Betty White’s legacy will be remembered with a celebratory day after her called Betty White day, but only in Illinois.  

ABC News claimed, “The beloved … actor died at her home in the Brentwood section of Los Angeles as the result of a Dec. 25 cerebrovascular accident, the medical term for a stroke, according to the LA County death certificate obtained Monday by The Associated Press.” 

Some political statements about the COVID-19 vaccine have risen due to Betty White’s demise, stating it was because of the booster shot she had gotten days before. However, that was proven false. Due to the brain damage prior to the stroke, it led to her departure from life in her own home.                                                                               

Her passing has caused the mourning of millions, and she will be missed and remembered by fans as one of the greatest actresses in history.