COVID impacts NCAA 

Barron Roosa, Newspaper Manager

COVID impacts NCAA 

Barron Roosa

Newspaper Manager 

Football is one of the most viewed sports in America. Millions of fans will either watch the games from home or camp out in front of the stadium just to wait and watch their team play. 2020 started off with a shutdown across the nation, but later throughout the year people started to understand the risks of COVID-19 and created safety measures to bring back the normal year activities. 

With the development of vaccines and their  distribution, there may be an end in sight to reduced audiences in the stadiums or the necessity of  wearing masks, but also people who make money from their own business can open their stores again. COVID impacted many important activities and occupations: sports were shut down for a few months, schools were closed, and students had to do school virtually for a semester learning the risks of COVID, schools opened and allowed seniors to finish their academics. and hopefully get offers for the sport that was cancelled. With the new safety requirements, people have bought virtual tickets and they can watch the sports they love like they were a stadium. 

This college football season, many teams had an option to either play the game or play it safe and not risk getting COVID. The Air Force’s college team chose to play only two games, and they were both against West Point and the Navy. Alabama won the recent championship against Ohio State 51-24. Clemson lost the week before Ohio State ended Trevor Lawrence’s chance to win the championship. With the end of the season, many seniors at these schools have an opportunity to go to the big league from the NFL draft. Hopefully with new guidelines and a vaccine we can see an end to COVID and a bring back the old ways.