2020 XXL Freshmen turn heads

Photo Courtesy of XXL

Ben Huber, Web Editor

The much anticipated XXL freshman class of 2020 has finally arrived, and the new artists have already made huge waves. Every year the XXL Magazine puts together a list of their favorite new music artists. They call this list the “XXL Freshman Class of the Year.” Shortly after the magazine is published, the freshmen hit the studio and each make a freestyle and collaborate for a group cypher which is posted to the official XXL YouTube channel. This year the list has twelve new artists who were chosen to have the best combination of talent and longevity.

Atop the 2020 list is Memphis artist NLE Choppa who attracts his listeners with his flow switches and outstanding energy. Along with Choppa are Polo G and Calboy, two Chicago artists who have built a massive fan base despite being only twenty one years old. The list also has two New York boys, Lil Tjay and Fivio Foreign representing the Big Apple with their classic east coast flow. Kentucky artist Jack Harlow who blew up for his worldwide Tik Tok hit “What’s Poppin” has also built a solid following in the year and is looking to receive more mainstream attention. 

Chika and Mulatto, the only two female artists on the cover, look to make a name for themselves and prove that female rappers deserve just as much attention as the male artists. The amazing vocals of Rod Wave and 24kGoldn make them a unique and excellent choice for the cover. To wrap up the list is Lil Keed and Baby Keem who are fan favorites for their mainstream friendly sound.

The official magazine hits the stands on September 1, with all of this year’s freshmen. This year’s list contains so many young men and women that have insane potential and talent. They all have unique strengths and weaknesses that set them apart from the rest. In these coming weeks it will be very interesting to see who rises to the top and who goes unnoticed. The group cyphers and the rest of the freestyles will definitely determine if the 2020 list lives up to the hype.