Soccer Season is Back!

WSHS soccer season is heating up!

WSHS soccer season is heating up!

Siana Tricoles, Staff Writer

The weather is getting cooler and that means; soccer season is back! Winter Springs High School is getting ready for that time of the year. The girls have been putting effort in for tryouts on October 16th and 17th. The following week the boys were gearing up for their tryouts that were held on October 23rd and 24th. Tryouts took multiple days and the teams were decided by the coaches.

Since football season has ended, soccer season is just starting up. Players, students and staff here at Winter Springs are excited to see what’s in store for both the girls and the boys this season.

Playing soccer requires stamina and special skills. Practice is key for improving player’s skills and game play.  Conditioning is one of the most important aspects of keeping your body in shape. Passing, touches and suicides are drills done to improve your skills for the games.

Last season, 2016-2017 season, the girls soccer team placed third overall in the district under Lake Mary who was second and Oviedo who was the state champ.

“This district is overall a competitive area. In the last twenty years, the state champs have all come from this district,” said girls’ soccer coach Kurt Oettl.

There were a total of 8 seniors from the team last season and only 2 freshman; this season there is a total of 6 new freshman on the team. The new talent and skill is refreshing and a new asset for the girls.

“This season is going to be great considering tryouts were super fun. Playing for three years provides the skills and knowledge needed for a successful season.” said junior player Rachel Rodriguez.

Security guard Mr. Corey who is also a coach for Class Athlete said, “It is exciting for Winter Springs to compete in a high level district, also as a soccer coach it is always exciting to watch other teams play and learn techniques to improve skills as a coach.”

The boy’s tryouts took place, and the team is chosen already. The games start this winter. Come out to support the boys and girls soccer teams.

Games against our rivalry schools will be very competitive. Games against Oviedo and Lake Howell will be held at home. All the home games need supporters to come out to the den and roar for the bears!

For more information on when the games are scheduled visit the athletic page.