The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Instagram @bear_truth_news

The Bear Truth News

The Bear Truth News

Bears block Lyman from a home win

Courtesy of Giana Hay

The winter athletic season brings many exciting events to school. From intense soccer games under the Wayne Epps Stadium lights to fierce wrestling matches in the school gymnasium, the winter season is always exhilarating. 

The boys’ basketball team currently holds the best record of all the winter sports teams this season. With a current record of 9-4, they have proven themselves to be a competitive threat for teams all around the district and those close to home. 

On Wednesday, January 10, the Bears played the Lyman Greyhounds at home for one of their last games of the season; they fought to keep their record strong. Due to the proximity, there were many Lyman students in attendance to watch their classmates and friends. However, a multitude of Bears including members of the Student Government were in attendance to cheer on the winning team. After a close game, the Bears came out with a win over the Greyhounds to claim another home game win of 64-60. 

The Bears started the game with a fiery energy that showed they were ready to dominate the Greyhounds. Any time the players received the ball, the entire team bolted to the other side of the court ready to put some points on the board or catch the rebound point. The offensive plays put the Bear’s shooting skills on display. The first quarter ended with a drastic lead in points in favor of the home team. At the start of the second quarter, the greyhounds seemed determined to shorten the point gap and take the game back. Their defense became more aggressive leading to an increase in fouls but a subtle decrease in their point gap. Throughout the audience fans voiced their anger for “uncalled fouls” but the Bears didn’t lose their cool and kept their composure as well as their advanced playing skills. The first half ended with the Bears on their toes of the close scores and the Greyhounds with a newfound hope for a win. 

The Greyhounds started the second half with an increase in points trailing closely to the Bears. Point scoring began to get flashy with a few players from each team attempting to and even succeeding at “dunking” on the other team sending the crowd into mass hysteria. Now the game was beginning to get close, student fans sat on the edge of their seats and both coaches stood on the edge of the court yelling directions at their players. The Bears kept their constant lead the entire game and this half was no different. Their defense got stronger, preventing the Greyhounds from taking the lead. The game concluded 64-60 Bears, ending the night with content players and cheerful fans.