The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Little Shop of Horrors September 28, 29, 30

• Glow Pep Rally Friday! Wear White!

• Football Game Friday!

• Follow The Bear Truth on Twitter @beartruthnews

13 Reasons Why is Returning

13 Reasons Why is returning for a second season.

Rachel Casey and Mackenzie Grzesik

13 Reasons Why, the popular Netflix show detailing the circumstances of a girl’s suicide, is coming back for a season two, to the pleasure and dismay of many.

In the young adult novel Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, Clay Jensen receives a box of tapes from Hannah Baker, a girl he knows who has recently committed suicide. The thirteen tapes each detail a reason for Hannah’s final decision to end her life, and Clay receives the box because he is one of her reasons. The Netflix show has a similar plot—each episode following one of Hannah’s tapes—but with the added Hollywood flare of which many original fans do not approve.

The series has gotten mixed reviews from viewers. Some see Hannah Baker’s tapes detailing her reasons for killing herself as a wakeup call for viewers, pointing out the importance of treating others with kindness and respect, while others view the series in a bad light, saying that it glorifies the idea of suicide. Regardless, the series has become a phenomenon, so it comes as no surprise that Netflix has announced its return for a second season.

Showrunner of 13 Reasons Why, Brian Yorkey, knew he wanted to continue the series since the end of season one.

“To me, there’s a tremendous amount that I still want to know,” Yorkey said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly.

With the characters just beginning to develop in the first season, Yorkey, along with viewers, would love to see what happens with them in the future as they continue their process of recovery.

However, with the recent announcement, many have begun to question what exactly the new season will bring, as the original series is based on the book Thirteen Reasons Why which does not have a sequel.

With the tapes having finished, season two will be experiencing a new twist.

“There’s voiceover in every episode, but the voiceover is no longer Hannah,” Yorkey revealed.

No one knows exactly whose perspective the series will take, but many fans speculate that Tyler (the stalker character from season one) will be involved in a school shooting then leading to some sort of recording explaining why, similar to Hannah’s tapes. Although the tapes may be finished, Yorkey assures fans that there will still be some sort of important “analog technology” implemented into the second season.

There is currently no set release date; however, fans can expect this new season within the next year.

Selena Gomez, executive producer of the show, posted a teaser clip on her Instagram May 7th, stating, “[the] story isn’t over. Season 2 of #13ReasonsWhy is coming.”

• 13 Reasons Why is Returning

Entertainment

2017 Video Music Awards

• 13 Reasons Why is Returning

Around the Den

New Principal Brings Changes to WSHS

• 13 Reasons Why is Returning

Around the Den

Club Spotlight: Photography

• Around the Den

WSHS Teachers Have Door Decoration Contest

• 13 Reasons Why is Returning

Around the Den

WSHS New Band Director

• 13 Reasons Why is Returning

Entertainment

2017 Video Music Awards

• 13 Reasons Why is Returning

News

Prepare for Hurricane Irma

• Around the Den

Young Men and Women of Excellence

• 13 Reasons Why is Returning

Sports

2017-2018 Sports Dates

• 13 Reasons Why is Returning

Around the Den

New Principal Brings Changes to WSHS

13 Reasons Why is Returning