The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Instagram @bear_truth_news

The Bear Truth News

The Bear Truth News

National Merit Semi-Finalists Create History at WSHS

Photo by Vickers

For the first time in Winter Springs High school history, six students have qualified for national merit semi-finalist. A national merit semi-finalist is a person who scored in the top one percent on the PSAT in eleventh grade. The PSAT tests students on their reading comprehension ability, their math ability, and their grammar skills. Additionally, the test and award are given by the scholarship. After a student qualifies for the national merit semi-finalist, the student can become a national merit finalist by earning a concordant score on the SAT. To earn the scholarship that comes with being a National Merit Finalist, the student must have a letter of recommendation from a teacher and maintain a gpa of 3.5 or higher. Students who become a National Merit Finalist earn a full ride to any Florida school and also receive 2500 dollars. 

Turning to the students who received the prestigious award of becoming a National Merit Semi-Finalist, Christopher Baker states the following about the award: I was very grateful. When Mr. Gaffney made the announcement to the class that someone in the room got the award, it was both nerve-racking and relieving.”  When asked about how he became a National Merit Semi-Finalist he responded in the following manner: “Without people like Mr. Robie (the Latin teacher) who generously helped me practice the SAT for three years, I would have no chance in getting the award.” One can glean that Baker is a benevolent and humble person. Baker also advises students at WSHS  to have a relationship with God and one’s neighbor; one should strive for their best but not at the expense of these relationships. Baker concluded the interview by declaring that even though his high school experience has been hard at times, he has learned that one must live each day more fruitfully; “Time is too precious to be wasted on meaningless pursuits. Even something as simple as walking to Central Winds Park to play basketball with friends brings a lot of joy,” is a quote that Baker adheres to.