The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Twitter @beartruthnews

WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

Back to Article
Back to Article

WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

On Monday, January 15th, the city of Sanford came together to host a MLK day festival and parade.

Markel Bradley, Staff Writer

January 15, 2018, was Martin Luther King Jr. Day. This day is a national holiday that is celebrated all over the world. Martin Luther King Jr. did a lot for the world, especially the black community. He is known for the effect he had during the Civil Rights Movement, and his dedication to unity, love and nonviolence. He is celebrated because of his perseverance to preach freedom, justice, and liberty for African American citizens.  He is honored as a model for all who believe in freedom and justice.

Locally, the celebration starts with an oratorical contest on Friday evening.  Students prepare a speech and compete to win a scholarship.  This year the contest was held at New Life Word Center in Sanford. The scholarship is presented at a formal banquet on Saturday night.

On Saturday morning, the City of Sanford hosts a parade and festival in remembrance of Martin Luther King Jr. This parade started at Crooms Academy, and ran on Historic Goldsboro Blvd. all the way to French Ave. It usually consists of churches, organizations, businesses, bands and dance teams. The parade is a county-wide event that is anticipated every year. This is a time where the whole city comes together and watches the parade with friends and family.

“Personally, my parade experience was exquisite. It was very organized and well put together, and it was great to see people who were happy to see us. Whoever organized the parade did an outstanding job,” said Winter Springs High School junior Jamila Williams.

High schools from all over the county participated in the parade.  Step teams stepped, bands played and Young Men and Women of Excellence chanted affirmations.  Lake Mary, Lake Howell, Seminole and our very own Winter Springs High School represented their schools and gave honor to Dr. King.  The ladies of WSHS YWOE got a chance to visit the Goldsboro Museum right after the parade.  Goldsboro is a historic African American town.  It was actually one of the first African American cities in the nation.

“I learned more about our history.  I was horrified about what my ancestors went through but encouraged because of how far we have come,” said sophomore Gabrielle Accius.

The festival is held every year at Fort Mellon Park, which is located in the Downtown Sanford area. During the festival, many things go on. There are vendors everywhere, bounce houses and playgrounds are there, and teens are playing pick-up basketball games. There are even performances that go on. People at the parade gather to watch others share their gifts and talents with. The Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend is something a lot of people look forward to.

On Sunday, there are church services and other events that go on in the celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s amazing life and legacy that he left behind.  Martin Luther King Jr.’s dreams and his legacy will forever live on and will forever be celebrated, as well as appreciated because of these annual community events.

• Around the Den

WSHS to Encourage Every Student to Join a Student Organization

• WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

Around the Den

Winter Springs ASL Rocked the House

• WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

News

WSHS Celebrates Veterans Day 2018

• WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

Around the Den

ASL Friendly Starbucks Opens In Washington, D.C.

• WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

Showcase

WSHS Athlete Reflects on Rewards of Team Sports

• WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

Showcase

Foreign Exchange Students Enhance WSHS Campus Life

• WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

Showcase

Student Athletes Consider Risks

• WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

Around the Den

WSHS Administration Warns Students About Vaping

• WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

News

Pittsburgh Synagogue Suffers Attack

• WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities

News

Explosives Sent to Clinton and Obama

The student news site of Winter Springs High School
WSHS Students Join MLK Festivities