The Bear Truth News

• Follow The Bear Truth on Twitter @beartruthnews

Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

Hurricane Irma made landfall in the Caribbean and Florida, devastating communities across the countries.

Olivia Temple, Staff Writer

The most powerful Atlantic hurricane in recorded history hit Florida and the Caribbean islands, including Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Turks and Caicos, the Bahamas and Cuba and left a path of devastation in the Caribbean as it hit Florida.  The hurricane made landfall in North America early on Sunday affecting Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Alabama. Many were out of power for days, maybe weeks.

After Hurricane Irma hit, utility services made a heroic effort to get the power back on. The Department of Homeland Security said about 15 million Floridians lacked power. Even for those who had power, some were struggling to keep cellphone service or Internet access to contact loved ones.

“It’s a mess, a real mess. The biggest issue is power,” said Bill Barnett, mayor of Naples, on Florida’s Gulf Coast. “We just need power. Its 92 degrees and the sun is out and it’s smoking out there.”

Before the hurricane smashed into the US mainland over the weekend, it struck northern Caribbean islands, leaving 44 people dead.  Florida’s official death toll from Irma stands at 75, including the 11 seniors who passed from the nursing home incident. Hurricane Irma knocked out the power in the nursing home causing dehydration and heat-related issues. The patients were eventually rushed across the street to Memorial Regional Hospital. But for many, it was too late; two of the deceased were found to have body temperatures of more than 108 degrees.

“For the first time in 300 years, there’s not a single living person on the island of Barbuda – a civilization that has existed on that island for over 300 years has now been extinguished.”

Governor Rick Scott on Thursday night ordered all public schools – including state colleges and state universities – to be closed Friday through Monday. This allowed public schools to be used as shelters.  Orange and Seminole county both missed six days of school. The makeup days for each county are different; Orange county makeup days are Oct.27 and Nov. 20. Seminole county makeup days are Oct 16 and 17.

Prior to Irma’s landfall in Florida, the hurricane plowed through portions of the Caribbean, bringing tremendous damage as a Category 5 hurricane. In Ciego de Avila, Cuba, Saturday morning, a wing gust to 159 mph was reported. But winds gusts lowered up to 70 to 80 mph hammered the Orlando area early Monday. In the suburb of Pine Hills, residents were rescued early Monday morning when 24 homes were flooded with waist-deep water.

More than 1,800 Red Cross workers and 400 volunteers responded to Irma. Almost 100 emergency response vehicles were activated to help deliver meals and relief supplies. The Red Cross sent additional blood products to areas of the Southeast including Puerto Rico likely to be impacted by the storm and is prepared to send more for their needs.

Hurricane Irma caused devastation in the South. Roofs were ripped from houses and people are having to live in tents or life rafts because their houses or cars were destroyed. The Red Cross is trying everything they can to help people everyone remains safe. If you would like to donate please visit https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-irma-donations?scode=RSG00000E017&utm_campaign=irma&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Pu4uKi-1gIVhlcNCh04bwhLEAAYASAAEgI_WfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM3VvrqovtYCFccRgQodh2ILWg.

• Around the Den

WSHS to Encourage Every Student to Join a Student Organization

• Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

Around the Den

Winter Springs ASL Rocked the House

• Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

News

WSHS Celebrates Veterans Day 2018

• Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

Around the Den

ASL Friendly Starbucks Opens In Washington, D.C.

• Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

Showcase

WSHS Athlete Reflects on Rewards of Team Sports

• Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

Showcase

Foreign Exchange Students Enhance WSHS Campus Life

• Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

Showcase

Student Athletes Consider Risks

• Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

Around the Den

WSHS Administration Warns Students About Vaping

• Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

News

Pittsburgh Synagogue Suffers Attack

• Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida

News

Explosives Sent to Clinton and Obama

The student news site of Winter Springs High School
Hurricane Irma Devastates Florida