Renovations at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventures

Mackenzie Grzesik, Staff Reporter

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure parks seem to constantly be under some type of renovation, but for the next few months, the parks seem to be undergoing a complete renewal. In the Studios, attractions Twister, Disaster, and Beetlejuice have been shut down. The plan is to replace both Disaster and Beetlejuice with a replication of Universal Hollywood’s popular Fast and Furious ride, and replace Twister with a new show called Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon, which “features NBC’s Tonight Show host in a 3D comedic adventure through the city,” according to the Theme Park Insider. At the other park, Islands of Adventure, the popular Incredible Hulk Coaster is not being replaced by anything, but merely upgraded to enhance the riding experience with “new trains and on-ride effects,” Theme Park Insider reports. Also, in the Jurassic Park area of IOA, Universal is building a new and redeveloped King Kong ride named Skull Island: Reign of Kong, much to the excitement of fans of the original King Kong ride that closed in 2002.

The Fast and Furious: Supercharged ride experience will be opening at some point in 2017. The ride will feature “some of the high-speed, supercharged cars you’ve seen on the big screen,” and will “fuse everything you love about the films with an original storyline and incredible ride technology,” Universal says. According to Slash Film, the Orlando version of Fast and Furious “should offer more than the Hollywood version,” which is exciting for the fans of the popular franchise.

Right down the street from Fast and Furious: Supercharged will be Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon, replacing Twister…Ride It Out in 2017. Universal says the attraction will reflect Jimmy’s wish of “a fun and hilarious adventure that was also a valentine to his hometown of New York City.” Universal’s goal in many of its attractions is to completely immerse park-goers in their favorite movies or TV shows, so giving a show dedicated to the most popular late night talk show host in America was an easy decision, they say. “I think the ride is going to be a lot of fun since I love Jimmy Kimmel, but I just hope it won’t be similar to Twister, which it is replacing, because I really didn’t like that ride,” sophomore Alexandra Sostenuto says.

In the counterpart of the Studios, Islands of Adventure, construction is going down at one of the most popular attractions of the park, the Incredible Hulk Coaster. The ride is getting reconstructed for enhancements, and will be reopening with the improvements in summer 2016. Although the ride will supposedly be improved because of the construction, many annual pass holders are disappointed at the shut-down of their favorite ride. Sophomore Ariana Stratton, an avid park-goer and pass holder, says she “hates the fact that the Hulk is shut down because it’s the best ride at the park.” Universal believes that the improvements the ride is undergoing will be well worth it though.

One of the biggest construction projects seems to be going down farther into the Islands of Adventure park with Skull Island: Reign of Kong, where an entire sound stage has been built to house the new attraction which Universal officials describe as “multi-sensory, multi-dimensional new ride for your life.” The ride, opening in summer 2016, comes 14 years after the closing of the first King Kong ride at Universal, and the reemergence of the attraction has sparked excitement amongst many long-time park-goers, although Universal claims the new ride will be completely different from the original story line.

All these renovations have caused excitement and dismay among park-goers, as some say that the construction impedes the park experience, but in the end, Universal says that the construction will eventually benefit the overall park experience for everyone, as the new attractions that are opening or being renovated will bring a new dimension to the park that it hasn’t had before.