Top Chef Visits Alma Mater

Photo courtesy of PSP Images

Ben Huber, Editor-in-Chief

Alyssa Osinga, contestant on season 21 of Hell’s Kitchen and former Winter Springs High School alumni, paid a visit to her alma mater this October to speak to the culinary students, answer their questions, and cook some of her favorite dishes. The students had a blast asking her questions and were fascinated with her wealth of information on the art of culinary. Osinga graduated from WSHS in 2017, taught by our own Chef Efland. Osinga states that Chef Efland was “always more than just a teacher.” She credits Efland in propelling her into her culinary career and leading her on the path to success. She has nothing but positive words for him as she truly is grateful for the impact he had on her life. During her years at WSHS, Osinga was a dedicated member of the culinary team. She praised the program by remarking it’s ability to “allow your passion to grow.” You’ll do nothing but learn and continue to grow stronger as a young chef.”

During the QnA, students asked what her experience was like working on the show and with Gordon Ramsay. Contrary to popular belief, Osinga said her “experience with Gordon Ramsay was incredible” and “he is such a genuine person… truly caring for every individual that comes on the show.” She said that when he yells on the show it only means he believes in you and you can be doing better. Many people think he is just a jerk, but he is simply passionate and caring for the future of the young chefs on the show.

Osinga gives advice to students planning on being chefs, commenting that the restaurant industry is very tough but “you cannot give up right away.. you have to be willing to push yourself to your boundaries.” It is hard to succeed in the industry if one is not fully invested and truly believes they can succeed. It is not an easy path; to own a thriving restaurant one must be the absolute best. All the hard work will eventually pay off with commitment to achieving goals.

Her future goals are slightly uncertain but she definitely wants to run her own business one day whether it be fine dining or catering. She knows there are so many opportunities out there and she is ready to keep learning and progressing as a chef. She is very hopeful for the future because she is still extremely young and she has her whole career ahead of her.