Cheer squad impresses crowds

Courtesy of Bella Cuellar

Addison Pierce, Staff Reporter

Winter Springs cheer is a notorious group around not only the school, but the county for their amazing performances. From drumline, to pep rallies, to football games, the cheer squad never fails to impress.

This year sideline cheer has had a triumphant season. Freshman Bella Cuellar, JV cheerleader said, “Through the ups and downs, cheering this season was very fun, and a good thing to do in my spare time.” Megan Griffin, also a freshman JV cheerleader, stated she is very glad she is a part of the squad and has grown very close with all of her teammates already. Phoebe Criswell, freshman JV cheerleader, not only loved this year of sideline cheer but plans to come back in the coming years stating, “I really enjoyed being able to cheer with my team. We’ve become really close and I love being able to spend time with them.”

As for returning members, the feelings are mutual. Skyanne Moore, sophomore JV cheerleader, says her favorite part of sideline cheer is, “Going to the games and having fun.” Also, her favorite game to cheer at this year was against Lake Howell High School stating, “It was exciting because we almost won.” Sophomore Layla McNealy stated, the drumline was her favorite part of the season because she enjoyed being involved in it. As a returning member on the varsity cheer team, McNealy also stated, “This year is definitely different from last year.” This is a feeling felt among most of the experienced cheerleaders due to the fact that the team welcomed in a new head coach this season.

This year Winter Springs Cheer is being led by Coach Pechuekonis. When interviewed, she stated, she has loved her first year of coaching but definitely sees room for improvement in the coming years.I’d like to set up a more functional practice schedule so that each athlete is really able to benefit as much as possible”, this is only one of the goals Coach P has in mind. Others include our cheer team embodying more school spirit, and our Bear Family as a whole contributing to cheering on our sports team. Although it’s always tough being a first year coach, Coach P says, “The staff at Winter Springs has been so supportive and the cheerleaders have been so fun to work with.” 

All in all, the cheer team has already accomplished many things through this year alone, and they’re not done yet. Although there won’t be a competition team this year. Sideline cheer continues into the winter as they will be cheering on our basketball team in the upcoming months, so don’t miss any chance to cheer along with the squad and attend all the exciting events Winter Springs has to offer.