Varsity Scrimmage Game

Photo By: Allie Nichols

Allie Nichols, Editor-In-Chief

As family members, peers, and general fans settled into their bench square, the familiar sounds of pop music and volleyballs filled the gym. Shoes squeaked on the floor. The smell of concession snacks wafted in. Then, the shock of the loud buzzer, black versus purple; game on.

Number 11 Kendall Sines from the black team served, and they won the first eight points, but purple got the ball eventually. Jacayla Middleton number 13 served and at the end of the play the front row blocked an attempted hit. For the rest of that set, A’siya Magazine, Ashley Cate, and Callie Unterreiner successfully defended the purple team from most of the other side’s near kills. About fifteen minutes into the game, the score was already 10-6. Very soon a kill from number 10 Maddy Daugherty on the black team earned them their seventeenth point, a seven-point lead on purple. 

Suddenly, only what seemed to be five minutes later, the scoreboard glowed 20-12. A small student section tucked at the top of the bleachers shouted praises and support here and there. On the court, the volleyball bounced back and forth for a while, great communication and saves from both sides. Almost every play had at least one attempted hit, striking tension. At 24-14, Magazine number 7 had a successful kill giving purple their fifteenth point, holding off the other team for a while. Alysha Morales number 3 served the ball but had too much power in her arm, for it went far past the backcourt line. The black team won the first round 25-16.

This time after a quick sweat mop to ensure no slipping, number 13 Middleton from the purple team served. They won the first four points in quick plays. At 3-8, a kill on the ten-foot (attack) line by Magazine earned purple their ninth point. Coach Jennifer Mallard gave directions from the sidelines in a very lively manner. Then a timeout was called, and the score was 5-13. Phyllis Flately number 8 on the purple side easily blocked a hit from black. They had a strong lead but were they just holding off the other side? A few minutes later, the purple team won the second round 15-25. 

The buzzer signaled the third round, and the girls got onto the count in their respective positions. Black served and won the three points, but purple stole the ball when a girl on their side hit a successful kill. The scoreboard was matched point for point after almost every volley. After a double forearm pass from the same girl which is illegal in the rules, the score leveled to 5-5. Seeing that this was the third and final round, each team need only 15 points. Words of encouragement spouted from the stands and a moment for shoes to be retied. 

At one point, on accident, a player from the purple team smacked another player in the face with the ball; volleyball can be very brutal. The black team didn’t have a second moment to reach for this girl’s kills. With yet another hit, Lauren Klingenberg number 6, the score was 11-11. The small student section at this point had moved to the front and center of the stands. Everyone’s eyes were on the court as Sines from the black team served. After an intense volley, purple won the point making the score 14-13, but black still had a point advantage. Before the setup and hit could even be processed, black won the final round. 

Principal Pete Gaffney is “very, very excited [for the season].” To him, volleyball is a very enjoyable sport to spectate because it is “action packed and never stops.” He wants everyone to come out and support our teams who are “passionate, committed, and determined.” He lastly expressed words of encouragement for our team, “Make us proud every time you step onto the court. Be the best student athlete you can be. Compete hard and always have good sportsmanship.”

Afterward, some team members were able to share their thoughts on the game and expectations for the season. Klingenberg called the game “energetic and new.” She also said the game went well overall as a season opener, but they “need to improve on their serve/receive and communication.” She looks forward to reclaiming the District title they missed last year. Unterreiner, who is the team manager but also played this game, said it was a good start and a great way to see strengths and weaknesses for the rest of the season. 

Head varsity coach Mallard said she looks forward to seeing the girls come together and grow as a team seeing that they lost a lot of Senior leadership from last year. She noted, “it’ll be nice to see some of the younger girls who are the upperclassmen [now] to step into those roles and perform.” Mallard called the team “scrappy and loud” in the best ways possible.