Freshman represents growing IB program

Olivia Song, Business Manager

This story was originally published in the second issue of The Bear Truth (November 14, 2019).

The Bear Truth is committed to highlighting the individuals who make up our student body. We invite you to read about a few of the great people who make up the Bear Nation.

The Bear Truth’s first Freshman Spotlight is Layla Reed. Layla is fourteen years old and is a candidate for the International Baccalaureate (I.B.) Program. To be considered in IB Junior and Senior year you have to keep a weighted GPA of a 3.0. Layla said the reason she wanted to join the International Baccalaureate Program was because “I did Pre-IB in middle school and wanted to continue doing it in high school.” She also shared that she was thinking about her future and how it would enhance her college transcripts. If she is not doing homework, Layla can be found playing volleyball, getting ahead on homework, or sleeping. Her favorite subject in high school is English with Mr. Hutchinson because she likes the way he teaches. Some of the things she is looking forward to in high school are “making new friends, going to the football games, and attending pep rallies, Homecoming, and prom.” Layla has three primary goals for high school and I.B. Layla said that she plans “to stay on top of my work, excel in all my subjects and sports, and prove to myself that I can take a challenge and do well.”