The ‘Reale’ Teacher of the Year

Allie Nichols, Copy Editor

Mrs. Nicole Reale is the teacher of the 2019-2020 school year. This is her sixth year at WSHS and she currently teaches AP U.S. History, AP U.S. Government, and AP Art History. Mrs. Reale describes Winter Springs High School as “a supportive community with a high performing administrative staff, innovative teachers, and students who want to excel.” She continued on to say, “We have made significant achievements in the arts, athletics, and academics and have quickly positioned ourselves to be one of the best high schools in Seminole County.” In addition, she added, “I cannot think of anywhere else I would rather be each and every day.” 

Reale did not think she would have been chosen because, according to her, “There were many very qualified candidates that were nominated and deserving of the award.” She said she is “so fortunate to work with such a talented faculty that creates an environment in which we all strive to be our best to meet the needs of our students.” Many people voted for Nicole Reale, but she noted that Mrs. Pam Gaskill, a very good friend, “wrote an incredibly touching and compelling paragraph on why I should be chosen as teacher of the year.” 

Reale thinks she was chosen as Teacher of the Year because she feels a strong sense of obligation to her students. She said, “It motivates me to give them my best. Often, it means giving up afternoons and weekends or part of the summer to grade and plan lessons or even waking up in the middle of the night panicked that I didn’t go over a concept. Since I teach AP classes, my students have the opportunity to earn college credit at the end of the year. I work hard so that they can earn that credit.” 

Reale loves her students very much and hopes they all know that “I will run through any obstacle for them and I believe they would do so for me. We have a fun and team oriented environment in class and they know that I am with them all the way.” 

Reale’s finishing advice for her students is “VOTE!!!! Americans aged 18-24 have the lowest voter turnout of any age group. As a result, politicians are not attentive to the needs of young people. Young people may not realize it, but, as a citizen, each of us possess a superpower—the ability to vote. The only way to make the government work for you is to have your voice be heard. The right to vote should never be taken for granted. The next time election day rolls around, consider the people who have given their lives, suffered vicious beatings, and even served time in jail for a right that many Americans do not exercise.” 

Hiram Roman is the 2019-2020 Employee of the Year for WSHS. He’s been working at WSHS for 12 years. Roman said that this is “an opportunity that life, and God, have given me in order to evolve as a human being, and in turn, learn the English language. ” Because he does not speak English as his primary language, Roman did not think he would win employee of the year, but he also thought he had a chance because of the skills and abilities expressed in his resume.