WSHS ASL Visits Washington D.C.

Jordynn Leigh, Staff Writer

The Winter Springs High School American Sign Language program students took their biennial educational trip to Washington DC to visit Gallaudet University February 14-17.

This was a completely voice-off trip for the ASL students and the chaperones. It was a chance for them to experience what it’s like for people to think you’re different. They got to see how the deaf treated in situations that they go through in their everyday life, they had to find different ways to interact with everyone. They get a tour of the campus and a chance to meet many of the students there.

The group performed a flash mob in front of the White House along with other various locations throughout the trip. Here is the link to the video of them performing it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qv74P-h4ws

This is a trip the ASL program takes every other year. In other years, they go to the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind. Overall, it was a great experience and opportunity for the ASL students that attended.

Gallaudet University was founded over 150 years ago for the purpose of providing a proper and fair learning environment for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students.

The mission statement on their page states “Gallaudet maintains a proud tradition of research and scholarly activity and prepares its graduates for career opportunities in a highly competitive, technological, and rapidly changing world.”