Winter Springs High School Promotes National Literacy Week

Winter Springs High School English teachers pose with their favorite books. (Courtesy of WSHS Yearbook)

Riley Hazel, Lead Staff Writer

Winter Springs High School is promoting literacy through an event-packed week filled with contests and book drives.

Dr. Paula Vickers, an Instructional Coach at WSHS said, “We want to emphasize the importance of literacy at Winter Springs High School.”

Every day this week, a morning announcement made by TV Production students will be shown to explain the day’s events. Along with the announcements, the school will be hosting their annual book drive in the media center.

Students and staff can donate a book to receive a free lollipop and a Bear Buck. Anyone can stop by to pick up a book as well. At the end of the week, the collected books will be given to a charitable organization as a way for our WSHS family to give back to the community.

Starting on Monday, faculty/staff posters will be posted around campus. In several posters, a staff member will be holding a book in front of his/her face. The students may guess who the mystery person is in each poster. Then, they will submit their answer sheets by putting them in a marked box by the Media Center. The last day to submit answers is Thursday, January 31. At the end of the week, four winners will be drawn and receive a copy of Where’s Waldo, a small bear, Bear Bucks, and candy. Mr. Gaffney will announce the winners on Friday’s morning announcements.

A class competition will be taking place on Monday during both lunches. Students will have the opportunity to write the name of their favorite book and enter the drawing. Mr. Gaffney will announce the four winners on Thursday over the morning announcements. Winners will receive a copy of Where’s Waldo, a small bear, Bear Bucks, and candy. The four class posters will be displayed in front of the courtyard.

During Wednesday’s extended lunch, students/staff may have their photos taken with their favorite book. Some of the photos will be on the school’s Twitter feed and website. The photos can be purchased for 50 cents.

Mr. Brian Rizo, an English teacher at WSHS,thinks the activities are a creative way to get high school students excited about reading.

“It is great to get the students engaged with school activities” Rizo said.

He likes the “Where’s Waldo” scavenger hunt because of it’s uniqueness.

WSHS is encouraging all students and staff to support National Literacy Week. “Let’s Spread Literacy, One View at a Time.”