WSHS Holds First Father-Daughter Dance

Louis Sanders, Lead Staff Writer

WSHS gave fathers a chance to pamper their daughters during its very first father-daughter dance. Men here at WSHS and around the community were able to bring their daughters and dance the night away on January 19.

To help the night go smoothly and allow the dates to enjoy their time, members of WSHS Culinary, and Young Women and Men of Excellence lent some helping hands. The WSHS cafeteria was transformed into an elegant ballroom.

Young Women of Excellence student and volunteer, McKensie Sanders, summed up the night as “nice and wholesome.” Sanders volunteered as a hostess and served food while the guests lived in the moment.

Sanders went on to say that it was a small gathering, but the dates that came seemed to have fun and made the night a truly charming evening.

While the night was about fun, there was a beautiful, important underlying message.

Sanders said, “I feel like fathers should be close to their daughters… Young girls should be taught early on how to be treated by men.”

Marsha McBryde, who organized the event, shared the same sentiment.

“I have helped organize a Father/Daughter Dance & Dinner in the Sanford Community for the past seven years because I want to help girls understand what it feels like to be treated like a princess for one night.”

She continued, “Too many ladies in today’s society have no experience with the proper way that a young lady should be treated by a true gentleman.”

With the ‘out of this world commentary’ going on in today’s news cycles, the father-daughter dance was a well-deserved break from the craziness and a stark reminder of the beautiful relationships in today’s society.