Trump Policy Toward Immigrants Shows Ignorance and Inhumanity (Opinion)

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Catherine Moreira, Student Contributor

It’s clear that the migrant caravan are being targeted and mistreated by the Trump administration. While I understand that a number of migrants coming into the U.S. are potentially very dangerous, this does not excuse the way the Trump administration treats all the members of the migrant caravan. Most of the immigrants coming into the United States from Latin America are just trying to start a better life for themselves or their families. Many Trump supporters argue that these immigrants should not be granted a home in America because they illegally travel here but for many of these migrants they don’t have the option of legally immigrating.

Immigration isn’t as simple of a process as many make it seem. A visa petition can take eight months just to be viewed, another three months to get all the paper work in order, and four to schedule an interview. Citizenship is an even longer, more strenuous process. For immigrants, this means they are left with three options; apply to get the proper papers to immigrate and wait, stay in their current living situation, or illegally migrate.

Trump claiming that the U.S. military should shoot migrants clearly demonstrates that he does not understand what migrants go through each day. Instead reacting so violently, he should take into account other views or create different alternatives to gassing and harming migrants.