WSHS Girls Question Dress Code Fairness

Titilayo Akinduro, Student Contributor

For centuries, women have been labeled and told what is right or wrong for us to wear according to the opposite sex. Society has put stereotypes on women, defining what they believe is “ladylike”. Then, if these expectations are not met, we’re considered “whores” or “sluts”.

Men have subjected us and acknowledged us as less than what we are. They hound us and violate us, making it seem like us ladies are the problem, like we’re the ones that need to be mended. THIS IS HYPOCRISY. PERIOD. We are not the problem guys are the ones that cannot contain themselves.  We have to dress a certain way because guys cannot handle their desires. They are allowed to dress according to what they want, not what society wants.

No one scrutinizes boys.  In fact, it’s girls that are dress coded way more than boys. Both male and female students attending Winter Springs high school believe girls are unfairly dress coded.

Freshman Vyntayasia Davis feels the dress code unfairly targets girls.

“Yes, because they’re sexist. They don’t care what guys wear.”

Damian Elliott, a junior, said girls should be free to express themselves through their fashion.

“People are just weird.  They don’t let girls express their bodies, and it doesn’t really matter to people what guys wear. Also, girls dress to express their personality, and it is like the school is restricting them from doing that.”

Guys get to walk around school grounds with saggy pants, undershirts, bandanas, hats etc. and basically anything they want and rarely get punished for it. WE as women should be able to express our styles freely just like guys get to. Now, this does not mean go out barely clothed, but means to wear more than what society lets us.  We should not be penalized for showing shoulders, midriff etc.

However, some individuals believe that dress code is essential in high schools. Mrs. Angel Collins, a dean at WSHS, said that girls are statistically cited for dress code violations more than boys.  However, she said the rules are fair and appropriate.

“I think it’s fair. We only require students to adhere to the basic minimum for dress code…. I try to be fair with both genders,” Collins stated.

Although there are fair points from the administrative side regarding dress code, many students believe that dress code is not viable and that women shouldn’t be held to such ideals.  Women should be valued and treated equally as men and should not be immediately judged according to what they wear.