WSHS Athlete Reflects on Rewards of Team Sports

Picture courtesy of Allison Todd

Picture courtesy of Allison Todd

Allison Todd, Student Contributor

I’ve been playing lacrosse since the seventh grade and made it a big part of my life since then. In the eighth grade, when I was able to see a lot of my past teammates play in high school, I knew it was something I wanted to do. When I finally got to high school, the season couldn’t come fast enough. Playing a high school sport and being included in something like that is such a phenomenal experience that I wouldn’t trade for anything.

My freshman year I had the fortunate chance to play sports year-round. I started with volleyball, then soccer, and finished with lacrosse. Being on a team not only brings the players together, and allows the chance for new relationships and friendships, but it provides a lot more.

For the school, the students that don’t play on a team get to see the games and possibly grow the interest to play the next year. It increases school spirit tremendously. When you play on that team you understand the necessity of getting excited and getting others excited about it too. Having your friends and other students come to the games and cheer you on is such a big factor in the energy of the school and the sports it provides.

It’s something I know later in life I’ll be able to look back on, and not only miss, but appreciate the chance I had to be a part of it. I’ve made so many more relationships I don’t think would have come about if I didn’t play.

It increases a lot of personal traits and characteristics like the ability to work as a team and to be coached, patience, hard work, and more.  I would encourage everyone to not only be active and involved in school clubs and organizations, but sports. While at times it can be difficult to juggle school work and all the things sports require, like time and energy, I believe it’s so worth it in the end. It offers a lot more than appearance of running around with a ball in a stick.