WSHS Celebrates Hispanic Heritage

Picture courtesy of Mr. Gaffney.

Riley Hazel, Lead Staff Writer

Winter Springs High School and many other schools around the nation celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15th to October 15th. Students were encouraged to celebrate where they come from and recognize their culture.

With a large Hispanic and Latino population in the WSHS community, the school itself sponsors the celebration of various Hispanic and Latino cultures.

Senora Gomez who has “a heart for her Spanish kids,” says that “the kids did not have another opportunity to [highlight their cultures]”, having a month dedicated to the celebration.

With this in mind, students wanted more of an opportunity to delve into the richness of Hispanic heritage. They made their voices heard in a demonstration held during school.

With Homecoming falling during Hispanic Heritage Month,WSHS had a challenge in trying to support both.

“Unfortunately [the school] had a lot of things going on and it became really overwhelming”, said Senora Gomez.

This year, Governor Rick Scott hosted the 2018 Hispanic Heritage Month Essay Contest to highlight outstanding individuals within Florida. Winners are to receive a four-year Florida College plan scholarship and an award from Governor Rick Scott and First Lady Ann Scott.

On September 26th, Winter Springs High School Students gathered in the courtyard during lunch to showcase their culture and talents. Food, music, and dancing festivities were provided. This was a chance for non-Hispanic students to learn more about their peers’ heritage. Students expressed their gratitude for the celebration through their performances.

Senora Gomez said, “Music and food attract people and Spanish people start the rest there. Spanish people are happy people, full of life and…it’s contagious”.

Every year, Americans observe National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15th to October 15th. The histories, cultures, and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central, and South America are all nationally recognized. This celebration started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week. It later progressed into a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15. September 15 marks the anniversary of independence for Latin American countries Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Other holidays are also within this same timeline.

Winter Springs High School hosted a noteworthy Hispanic Heritage Month. As a community, students and staff recognized the skills and overall lifestyle of all Hispanic and Latin countries.