WSHS Celebrates Black History Month

WSHS Celebrates Black History Month

Markel Bradley, Staff Writer

Every year, February is Black History Month, and Winter Springs High School is doing it big. Winter Springs High School will be doing multiple events, on multiple occasions.

This year, Winter Springs High School will be celebrating Black History Month both inside and outside of school. There are several events that will be held in school throughout the month of February. During Wednesday lunches in the month of February, mini Black History shows will be held to help educate the students around school about Black History. Each Wednesday will be themed differently, and will be a different representation of Black History.

Day/Times Event Description
Wednesday, February 7th
During Lunches
Historical Reenactment of the Boston Massacre Students will reenact the Boston Massacre, featuring Crispus Attucks.
Wednesday, February 14th

During Lunches

African Diaspora Food Festival Students will offer tastings of food from throughout the African Diaspora to the student body during lunches.
Wednesday, February 21st

During lunches

African Americans in Times of War: Guess Who? Contest Students will dress as various historical African Americans from Times of War. They will speak in first person on the stage in the courtyard with a microphone and students will have the opportunity to guess who each figure is. Students will place their forms with their answers in a drawing.
Wednesday, February 28th

During lunches

Celebration of Black History: A Tribute to  Literacy and Music Students will perform various songs, dance, poetry, and speeches all representing African American history.

Winter Springs High School’s Young Women of Excellence have volunteered to take their show on the road to be a part of a community Black History Month event.  This event will feature dinner, as well as entertainment featuring the ladies of Young Women of Excellence as well as other church and school groups. There will also be three honorees that will be honored for their service in the black community.  The local community will pay tribute to Ms. Marva Hawkins (a former newspaper columnist), Mrs. Francis Oliver (founder of Goldsboro Museum) and Dr. Velma Williams (Sanford City Commissioner).

Serena Lewis, President bhm 2018of Young Women of Excellence, said “What I like most about the event is that we can educate people about black history, black music, and black artists. Most people of our generation don’t particularly know about it at this age, so it’s great to educate them and myself to learn more about my roots.”

This event will take place on Friday, February 22nd, at seven o’clock pm. It will be located at the Midway Community Center, 2251 Jitway Ave, Sanford FL, 32771.