The student news site of Winter Springs High School

The Bear Truth News

• Band and Chorus Showcase 11/7 and 11/8

• Last Day of School Before Winter Break is 12/21!

• Follow The Bear Truth on Twitter @beartruthnews

WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

The Deaf Panel presented a great opportunity for ASL students to learn and interact with members from the deaf community.

Cassie Todtenhagen, Staff Writer

Have you ever wondered what it is like to not be able to hear sounds? On Thursday, October 5th here at Winter Springs High School, there was an event called the Deaf Panel. The Deaf Panel is a special event where students and their families get to ask deaf people questions about their daily life without sound.

It is neat to know what life is like for those who cannot hear. We often take our hearing for granted. We are used to hearing sounds like a door shutting, our phone buzzing, our friends and family talking, birds chirping and many other sounds. Our minds never really think about what it would be like to not be able to hear anything at all, to live in a world of silence. The Deaf Panel allowed people with hearing to have a chance to find out what a life of silence is really like.

There have been many inspirational deaf people in history.  Helen Keller (1880 – 1968) was famous for being able to communicate even though she was deaf and blind. She was originally born with sight and hearing but lost both senses at the age of two because of a sickness she contracted that was overall unknown. Throughout her lifetime she was able to master communication with other people and to accomplish things that were truly impressive considering she was missing her hearing and sight.

Another famous deaf person in history was Thomas Edison (1847 – 1931) who invented the lightbulb and phonograph. Even though he could not hear, he still was able to invent things that we use in our everyday lives. Knowing about deafness is important because so many historical figures were deaf and so many people in America today are deaf. It is interesting to know how they go about their lives and accomplish things that are hard to do without hearing.

At the Deaf Panel on Thursday, students were invited to come and find out about how deaf people go about their daily lives.  Students were able ask people form the deaf community questions about their lives through certified American Sign Language interpreters. The event started at 6:30 pm in the auditorium on Thursday.  It was a big hit according to students who attended.  Many Winter Springs students and their families came to communicate with the deaf community. This event was for students to find out a little more about ASL. Since American Sign Language is big in America today it is very important to know about it and its history. This event helped people be able to learn more about it and to ask questions. Students thought the Deaf Panel was a great way to learn more about ASL and those who use it in their daily lives.

• WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

Around the Den

Holiday Traditions

• WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

Around the Den

Exam Preparation is Underway

• WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

Around the Den

WSHS Winter Showcase 2017

• Around the Den

WSHS Teachers Have Door Decoration Contest

• WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

Around the Den

Holiday Traditions

• WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

Around the Den

Exam Preparation is Underway

• WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

Around the Den

WSHS Winter Showcase 2017

• WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

Sports

Wrestling Season Has Begun

• WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

Student Voices

WSHS Student Shares His Culture Shock Experience (and Lessons Learned)

• WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel

Opinion

Christmas is Around the Corner

WSHS Hosts Deaf Panel