WSHS New Band Director

JOE PETRO

The Winter Springs Band of Gold looks forward to their showcase performances on December 7th and 8th.

Cassie Todtenhagen, Staff Writer

This year at Winter Springs High School the band has a new director, Mr. Kyle Ferland. Prior to Mr. Ferland, the Band of Gold was originally directed by Mr. Adam Mcintyre. Last year, Mr. Mcintyre led the band to London to perform in  the London New Year’s parade. The new director is preparing our band for football games, pep rallies and other fun things going on this year.

Sophomore Laila Rahman said, “I think Mr. Ferland is a great band director!” Many band students agree.

Mr. Ferland has taught the band new commands and techniques and is starting off the new school year well teaching his students.  Katie Woodworth, who is on the color guard team, said, “He is very nice and includes us more with band.” The new director is proving to be very good at what he does. He is helping the Band of Gold prepare for the many performances they have in front of them this year. Riley Hazel and Sydney Gillis, sophomores here at Winter Springs High, say that he is doing a good job this year leading the band.

This year in the band, with the senior band members graduated, we have many freshmen students.  They perfectly show our bear pride! Throughout the years our band has worked hard to do the best they could at every event they were at and every time the band does an outstanding job. This year, students are excited about Mr. Ferland.  Although some little things in band have changed such as commands and techniques, he plans on keeping most things the same. The band has done such a great job over the years that Mr. Ferland wants to keep the big things the same.

Mr. Ferland’s wife, Mrs. Kara Ferland, also works here at winter Springs. She teaches chorus. Chorus members love her teaching and enjoy having her as a teacher.  Both Mr. Ferland and his wife make good music teachers.

As football season starts, the band is hard at work preparing to perform. Winter Springs hopes to see a lot of students at football games cheering on the band and football players! Supporting them is a great way to show school spirit. Another good way to support them is by buying treats that they will be selling. The money goes toward fundraising. This week band members will be selling popcorn.  Buying some would really help our band! Even just cheering for them at events is a great way to show you support the band. Let the band and the new director know that they are doing a great job!