Winter Springs Royalty Returns

Illiana Payne, Student Contributor

Our very own Mr. Anthony Segretario once walked Winter Springs’ hallways as a student.

Before returning to WSHS to teach for the 2017-18 school year, he was a star athlete. He participated in weightlifting, football, and wrestling and achieved many great things in all three.

Playing center for the varsity football team, he was recognized by Florida Kids for the top 200 student athletes in football. He played alongside the 2003-04 team that went on to beat the #3 ranked team in the nation in the playoffs and after high school went on to play football at Southern Illinois University and win a gateway conference championship there.

Segretario was also an all-star wrestler. He was 6th in the 2003 state finals and won multiple district championships. As for weightlifting, he took the state title in 2004, was a district champion, and still holds the record at Winter Springs. Concluding his senior year in 2004, he was voted male athlete of the year.

After high school, Mr. Segretario went on to attend SIU, where he majored in history and minored in political science.

After college, he went on to be a teacher, he began teaching at Chain of Lakes Middle School for a year, and Lake Howell High for two years. This year, we have welcomed him back to WSHS with open arms for his 4th year of teaching where he will be teaching history and coaching football.

Mr. Segretario was also inducted into the Winter Springs High School hall of fame last year. What a great way to welcome a star back home.