Ohio State Attack Sends 11 Students to Hospital

Police and other law enforcement officials investigate the attack at Ohio State University.

Brandon Bradley, Copy Editor

On Monday, November 28, 2016 an Ohio State University male student ambushed an on campus crowd of students with his car. The attack began at approximately 9:50 A.M., and stopped after ramming the curb. After getting out of the car, the student proceeded to stab them with a butcher knife.

To halt the situation, the student, who has been identified as 18 year old Abdul Razak Ali Artan, was shot and killed by a law enforcement officer on the scene of the crime. Artan was discovered to be a Somali refugee who has been living in the United States of America since only 2014 as a legal permanent resident.

Shortly before his attack, Artan posted a rant on his Facebook page, stating that he had reached his “boiling point.” In this rant, Artan urged that America should stop interfering with the affairs of other countries and nations, the Muslim Ummah Community especially, and was said to have cited racial cleric, Anwar al-Awlaki, who was an Islamic lecturer and is said to have been involved in the planning of several terrorist attacks.

This has led many to question whether or not Artan’s attack was an act of terror, though it still remains relatively unclear, as no motive has been yet determined.

The incident sent a total of 11 people to the hospital, all of which are alive and physically well. The school was on lockdown for approximately an hour and a half, issuing its “Run, Hide, Fight,” emergency warning. This emergency warning means that students should run to safety, hide wherever they can, and use fighting as their last resort. Many students as well as staff members were locked in their classrooms, taking caution until further information had been issued.