4 WSHS Hunnybears Will Perform in Thanksgiving Day Parade

Four of our own Hunnybears from the WSHS dance team were given the opportunity to perform at the 2016 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Siana Tricoles, Staff Reporter

The Winter Springs High School dance team, known as the Hunnybears, have been given the opportunity to be featured in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade that is held each year on Thanksgiving, featuring celebrities and many different floats. Seniors, Grace Torres and Amber Brothen, and juniors, Carolina Moreira and Ashley Odendahl, will be the dancers representing WSHS.

Many faculty and staff members are excited for the upcoming event.

“This is really cool, and I am so proud to see my bears on national television.” Mrs. Dawn Wilkerson

With 50 million people watching worldwide it can be extremely nerve-racking to perform in front of that many people. But the Hunnybears are ready for the challenge.

“I am used to performing so I am not so nervous about people watching me I am actually really excited, said Hunnybear dance team member Brothen.

This opportunity arose during UDA camp during this past summer from an invitation from the Contest of Champions. To become eligible to perform, there were auditions in front of several judges where they chose the best dancers.

Although the trip costs around 3,000 dollars, it is worth the experience. According to Hunnybear Carolina Moreira, “It’s so worth it we get to go to Broadway shows,  the 9/11 memorial, blooming dales, Macys, and we get to shop., I am also extremely happy to see all the floats.”

The dancers leave this Saturday and will be back on Friday. During the trip they will be receiving a metro card and they also get jackets and they get to keep their costumes.

“It is sad that we won’t be able to be with our family on thanksgiving but this is a once in a lifetime experience and our families are excited just as much as we are” said the team members attending the parade.

The coaches and the rest of the dance team wish their fellow dancers luck as they make their way to New York City and are proud of what they are going to accomplish.

“I am so wonderfully proud to send my Hunnybears off to new York to perform in front of millions of people I am happy that they get the chance to show how great of dancers they are and I wish them the best of luck,” said Hunnybears’ Coach Megan Maguire.

Tune in November 24th , 2016 at 9 am for the Macys thanksgiving day parade on ABC NBC and BBC; to support our dancing Hunnybears.