Homecoming Week 2016

The sophomore class decorated their float to match their given city, Tokyo, Japan.

MONDAY

Students brought out their favorite brightly colored t-shirts and neon socks on October 17th to kick off the start to spirit week! It’s was a battle of the colors this Monday for homecoming week. Almost everyone participated by dressing up as their grades assigned colors to conjoin in spirit for their school pride. Each grade had their own assigned color; freshman dressed in orange, sophomores were given green, juniors dressed in red, and seniors were assigned blue.

Junior Christine Cassen is dressed in red for the first day of homecoming week.

Monday night’s festivities included the Girls’ Varsity Volleyball game. Many students came out to support the girls as they competed against University High School with a win for the Bears of 3-0.

TUESDAY

For the second day of Homecoming Week, students dressed up in outfits that depicted their favorite holiday. Some of the popular holidays for the day were Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, 4th of July, and St. Patrick’s Day.

For those who didn’t go, you definitely missed out on an exciting night. After everyone participated in a few “hypnosis exercises”, a few students were selected from the crowd to be “hypnotized”. The hypnotist, Jon Simon, began by making all the participants “sleep”. After waking them up, Simon had the “hypnotized” students do various actions. From driving a car to even dancing, the crowd was full of laughter by what the participants were doing. Two students, juniors Devon Raspo and Joseph Mullins even shared a slow dance together.

Many students were chosen to be hypnotized as part of the show.

WEDNESDAY

To continue the excitement of homecoming week, students dressed in Hawaiian attire on October 19th. The campus was filled with leis, grass skirts, and flowered shirts.

After the school day, juniors and seniors prepared for the Powderpuff game. In this event, junior girls and senior girls compete in a football game against each other while junior and senior boys worked with the cheerleaders to perform an entertaining halftime show for the crowd. The result was a win for the junior girls, but both teams played well.

To finish off the night, Leadership hosted “All Fireworked Up.” The chosen movie, She’s the Man, was shown on a screen in the pit for all students to enjoy. After the movie ended, there were fireworks at 9:00 to complete the event.

The bear statue in the courtyard is decorated to represent the Hawaiian theme for the day.

THURSDAY

Thursday of homecoming week was City Day, and Winter Springs High School students dressed up, representing cities from around the world. Freshman were assigned Rio, the host of the 2016 Olympic games. Sophomores were Tokyo, many students had inventive ideas to represent the city such as coming in kimonos or sushi rolls. Juniors portrayed the city of Paris by dressing in stripes, wearing berets, and carrying french bread. Seniors were given New York and came as the Statue of Liberty, taxi cabs, and the typical New York businessman. Some of the Winter Springs’ teachers also got into the homecoming spirit. Mrs. Devine, Mrs. Matthews, and Mrs. Wilkerson dressed up as Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Batgirl respectively.

A group of seniors represent New York City by dressings as characters from the Broadway play Hamilton.
A group of seniors represent New York City by dressing as characters from the Broadway play, Hamilton.

Thursday night’s festivities included the Dodgeball Game. Teams of six players each came to the gym, many with matching team shirts or outfits, to compete against the other teams. Whether playing the game or just spectating, it was a fun night for all to enjoy.

FRIDAY

The last day of the week, Spirit Day, is always an exciting day. Students from every grade come to school dressed in purple and gold, often with paint and necklaces to add even more school spirit to their outfit.

At the end of the school day, Winter Springs High School held their bi-annual Homecoming Parade. Clubs, electives, and different organizations such as Young Women of Excellence, Drama, Chorus, Leadership, and The Bear Truth newspaper staff, came together at this exuberating event. Each class had their own float to complement the city they were given in for city day. The winner was the senior class for their float representing New York City, but the sophomore class were the runners-up for their Tokyo inspired float.

With all the activities during the week of homecoming, it is sometimes easy for students to forget the main event: the football game. The Winter Springs Bears faced off against Seminole on Friday, and although the end score, 44-14, was not in favor of the Bears, the student section was filled to the brim with spirit. Many alumni also came back to celebrate with old friends. Possibly the highlight of the night for some was the announcement of homecoming king and queen. At halftime, each couple of the court was announced and seniors Hannah Rozek and Justin Goff were crowned by last year’s homecoming king and queen Anna-Stephanie Stoychev and Cole Brothen.

SATURDAY

The Homecoming dance is what the student body looks forward to at the end of exciting week of dressing up. Held here at Winter Springs High School, students of all grades celebrated the end of the week by dressing up in suits and dresses. Attendees entered the venue decorated to accommodate the theme of “City Lights.” The outdoor DJ setup was decked out with designs from each classes’ designated city- Rio, Tokyo, Paris, and New York City. Whether with a group of friends or a boyfriend/girlfriend everyone was able to dance the night away and enjoy the music.

Seniors Sydney Michalek, Melanie Shor, Dana Corredor, and Tiffany Pruss take a picture before heading to the dance.