Painted Parking Spots Boosts School Spirit

Over the summer, students were able to decorate their senior parking spots.

Mackenzie Grzesik, Copy Editor

Students returning to Winter Springs may have noticed a new and colorful addition to the parking lots on the campus. This year, it became an option for seniors who buy parking passes to also buy a designated parking spot, so they could decorate their own spot however they please.

A group of leadership students, led by senior Cameron Fricke, headed the project last year. Fricke came up with the idea because she “had seen it all over Pinterest and thought it would bring more spirit and vibrancy to the school.”

One might notice that all the painted parking spots on campus are limited to the colors white, black, purple, and gold. This gives students a chance to combine their personalities with their love for WSHS, fostering school spirit amongst seniors. Winter Springs has suffered a drop in school spirit over the past several years, and the institution of painted parking spots might just be one step in the right direction to fix the problem.

Before permission was given for seniors to paint their spaces, Fricke “typed up an extensive proposal and met with Dr. Reynolds several times until [she] finally got her approval.” It was a long and arduous process; however, both students and staff are thrilled with the outcome.

Not only do the painted parking spots allow students to express individuality and school spirit, but they can also promote friendship. Some students chose to paint matching monograms on their designated spots, strengthening their bond of friendship.

For future seniors, the parking spot costs $20, and it is also required to buy a $70 parking pass.

Because of Winter Springs’s own hard-working and dedicated students, WSHS’s senior parking lot is now filled to the brim with school spirit and personality.