WSHS wrestling team make their way to the top

Marie Carr, Opinions Editor

For the past eight years the Winter Springs Wrestling team has steadily made its way to the top, finishing strong with being in the top ten State Finish for the ninth consecutive time along with 2 Region finishes for the 8th consecutive year. The bears also ended their season with 6 state qualifiers, 3 state placers, and a state champion.

Being a wrestler is no easy feat. The team works in the mornings, have a class period devoted to wrestling, as well as practice after school. Leading the team as captain is senior James Nereim. Weighing in at 152lbs Neriem is a two time state champion and placed in the state tournament all 3 of his seasons on varsity, finishing with a career record of 127-19.  James had an epic comeback in the semifinals trailing 8-3 in the 2nd period coming back to tie the match and then win in overtime.

Along with Neriem, other wrestlers included juniors TJ Boyd, Dimitri Alicea, Max Wholabaugh, sophomore Cole Mitchell, and senior Xavier Maxwell. As a team the bears finished with a 20-1 dual meet record with only one loss against 11 times State Champion South Dade.

Mitchell weighs in at 132lbs and finished his season 6th, after pinning a returning state placer senior in the first period in the match to place.  Cole becomes just the 8th sophomore state placer in school history breaking sophomore win record with 48 this season improving to 88-23 in his career on pace to break Matt Nereim’s school record of 170.  Cole also had 3 wins this season against the wrestlers that were crowned the 1A and 2A state champions last night.

Boyd at 285lbs also went 2-2 finishing in the top 8 in the state.  TJ was in on a takedown at the buzzer in the match to place but just ran out of time.  After winning conference, district and region titles this season TJ will be working hard to make his run for the top in his senior season.

138lbs Alicea had a successful season as well. After a dominant junior year Dimitri entered the postseason with an injury, and  was unable to wrestle his best going 1-2 at state finishing in the top 12.  In his state bracket Dimitri has defeated the 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th place winners this year and will return for his senior season with #UnfinishedBusiness.

Lastly, finishing his high school career Maxwell at 145lbs went 2-2 and finished in the top 8 in the state. Maxwell  lost a tough 1 point battle in the match to place but left it all on the mat. “X” only started wrestling as a sophomore and this was his first trip to the varsity post season, coach and his teammates are very proud of how he finished his high school career!

“Our coaching staff is very proud of all our wrestlers and blessed with the supportive school administration and families in our program,” says Coach Gomard.

The team is expecting another great season next year, with even more victories. The stats for the season is:

State Runner-up Clay (34 to 30)

#6 Jenson Beach (55 to 22)

#9 North Port (50 to 23)

#11 Freedom (39-18)

#14 Gateway (67 to 9)

#14 Columbia (72 to 6)

#20 Manatee (55 to 13)

#21 Seminole Ridge (59 to 12)

#26 Matanzas (62-18)